* Re: [Q] Tools for Ada Quality and Style
@ 1996-04-30  0:00 Bob Crispen
From: Bob Crispen @ 1996-04-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@CS.NYU.EDU> sez:

>Bob Crispen was looking for pretty printing tools to enforce a standard.

Uh, no, actually I was *offering* a rather limited set of pretty printing
tools to someone who wanted to use them to automate a process improvement
based on AQ&S.

I believe you'll search in vain for any words of mine that say the
way to implement this process improvement is exclusively or even
chiefly through a prettyprinter.

Since someone else has already said that he disagrees with me, based on
your representation of what I said, I felt it was reasonably important
to set the record (and my reputation) straight.  And, too, it does give
me an opportunity to go on a bit about style.

>I must say I do not like this approach. For uniform style rules to work,
>everyone has to buy into them, and buying into them means getting
>completely familiar with them and not considering writing code in any
>other style.
>
>If you rely on pretty printing tools, then there is a danger of continuing
>to foster a sloppy attitude to the style rules.

I believe (and I'll bet you do too) that the most important thing that
can eventuate from a coding standards process is an agreement by the
participants that readability is important, and that uniformity is
*nearly* as important.

The only negative about AQ&S is that foolish people can use it to say,
"Right, this is our coding standard.  We don't need to waste time on a
coding standards process."  Abusus non tolit usum, though.

While we're at it, I'd like to offer that I'd rather use punch cards
than some tools I could mention that enforce their own standards which
are *not* based on our group process, and which are not based on any
sort of international standard (like AQ&S), *and* which produce code
that looks damned odd to these tired old eyes.  No product names,
because I suspect that we're just using this particular product wrong
or using an obsolete version -- or perhaps this is just wishful thinking
that the product I have in mind just *can't* be that bad.  I think I've
defined Prettyprinter Hell reasonably well, though.

I've also given up on prettyprinters that have more option flags than
gcc.

>I *do* like tools that enforce style rules, to the extent that this is
>possible. Many style rules are simply too indefinite to enforce
>mechanically.

Add the word "tiny" and I think we're completely in synch.

Please take a peek at the two (count 'em, two) tools I pointed to on my
website.  One aligns colons, a tedious process whose fruit is often
improved readability.  The other puts reserved words in lowercase,
attribute names in uppercase and everything else in mixed case, and adds
or subtracts the odd space -- all acting on a single line of code (or at
any rate, without reference to preceding and following lines, and without
adding or taking away newlines).

I respectfully suggest that the appropriate use of these tiny tools at
http://hiwaay.net/~crispen/us/our_computer.html, suitably modified to
reflect your way of doing things (and to fix leftover bugs ;-), might
very well be just the sort of thing you described.

Note that the authors of AQ&S quite rightly added "quality" to their
title and to their magnificent book.  In fact, they put it first.  Nothing
either of us has said has touched on that issue, which I think we both
agree is considerably more important -- though my experience has been
that people have more violent disagreements about style than about quality.

And, btw, Robert, I think your bragging above about your large collection
of nude gifs of Orson Welles isn't in the best taste ;-)

Bob Crispen
revbob@eight-ball.hv.boeing.com
Speaking for myself, not my company

* Re: Ada naming conventions?
@ 1996-04-17  0:00 Bob Crispen
From: Bob Crispen @ 1996-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Malcolm Edgar <edgar@CS.UWA.OZ.AU> asks:

>Our company is considering updating it's Ada coding standard, specifically
>naming standards, if you have any good standards you use I would love to hear
>about them.

Ada Quality & Style, from

http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/docs/style-guide/

One there for Ada 95 and one for Ada 83.  Accept no substitutes.