From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Free'ing extended types
Date: 1996/04/28
Date: 1996-04-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jerry said

": GNAT Compiler Version 3.04w Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
                        ^^^^
That's not fair :-["

Jerry, I know you had a smiley here, but just so people understand. The
w here in 3.04w represents a wavefront development release. We are
continuously testing wavefronts in house and also we release the wavefront
to customers to solve specific problems, and those customers then act
as beta testers for the new release -- basically the way we work is that
most of the time we can find work arounds for problems, but occasionally
there is nothing else that will do other than to fix a problem in the
compiler or to add an enhancement. In this case, we can immediately
get a new version of the compiler out.

The result is that by the time a pubic release is made, the new version
is already field tested. Right now, 3.04 is getting close to release.
We have a few ACVC tests to deal with, and one rather obscure regression.
Once these are out of the way, we will release for Solaris and SGI, and
then the other releases will appear soon after.

One point to make which we will repeat is thta 3.04 is quite tricky to
build, due to the incorporation of a new approach to exception handling
(which particularly on Solaris and SunOS is a huge improvement in
efficiency). This means following some special build procedures, so those
building from source will need to pay VERY careful attention to the
release notes.