* GNU ADA Compiler
@ 1996-04-04  0:00 Robert Weeks
From: Robert Weeks @ 1996-04-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of a shareware ADA compiler for Mac that supports
seperatley compiled generic functions? I have GWA ADA 1.4.2, but it does
not support this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I program in ADA on a Sun Sparc 5, but need this for homework.

Thanks in advance!  If you could, please respond to mail.

Robert Weeks
vaiism@mail.fwi.com

* Re: GNU ADA Compiler
@ 1996-04-05  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Weeks says

"Does anyone know of a shareware ADA compiler for Mac that supports
seperatley compiled generic functions? I have GWA ADA 1.4.2, but it does
not support this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I program in ADA on a Sun Sparc 5, but need this for homework."

Robert, first of all, the language is Ada, not ADA, Ada is a woman's name.
Ada fans care about this distinction, they do not want to be confused
with dentists and democrats :-)

Second, I assume you mean by shareware something you can get free
(shareware is something quite specific, and does not include most
free software).

Third, the answer is unfortunately no at the moment, but we hope to see
a GNAT appear for the MAC shortly, but not, I fear in time to complete
your assignment.

Why is it so important to compile generics separately. Why not put them
in separate files, and then just concatenate these files for GWU Ada?

* Re: GNU ADA Compiler
@ 1996-04-05  0:00   ` Mike Young
From: Mike Young @ 1996-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Robert, first of all, the language is Ada, not ADA, Ada is a woman's name.
> Ada fans care about this distinction, they do not want to be confused
> with dentists and democrats :-)

=======
But the language itself is not case sensitive.

* Re: GNU ADA Compiler
@ 1996-04-07  0:00   ` Robert Weeks
From: Robert Weeks @ 1996-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.828704407@schonberg>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:

> Robert, first of all, the language is Ada, not ADA, Ada is a woman's name.
> Ada fans care about this distinction, they do not want to be confused
> with dentists and democrats :-)
>
> Second, I assume you mean by shareware something you can get free
> (shareware is something quite specific, and does not include most
> free software).
>
> Third, the answer is unfortunately no at the moment, but we hope to see
> a GNAT appear for the MAC shortly, but not, I fear in time to complete
> your assignment.
>
> Why is it so important to compile generics separately. Why not put them
> in separate files, and then just concatenate these files for GWU Ada?

Thanks for you reply.

No I don't mean for "free", but I don't want to spend a couple of hundred
bucks for a compiler for Ada right now either. School supplied me with the
one I have.

The seperatley compiled generics is an error I get when say for instance,
say this is part of the spec:

generic
  type object_type is private;
package ring_package is

  type ring is limited private;

  ring_full  : exception;
  ring_empty : exception;

procedure move_cursor_forward(the_ring : in out ring);

And this is the body corresponding:

with unchecked_deallocation;
package body ring_package is

procedure free is new unchecked_deallocation( ring_node, ring_pointer );

procedure move_cursor_forward(the_ring : in out ring) is
begin
  if the_ring.size = 0 then
    raise ring_empty;
  end if;
  the_ring.current_node := the_ring.current_node.next;
end move_cursor_forward;

This is where I get the error that "Seperately Compiled Generics Not
Supported". That is why I am looking for this, being that that is all we
are doing now is studying Abstraction.

Thanks for any help...

If you could, could you e-mail me also if you have any help?

Robert Weeks
vaiism@Mail.fwi.com

* Re: GNU ADA Compiler
@ 1996-04-07  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Weeks said

"This is where I get the error that "Seperately Compiled Generics Not
Supported". That is why I am looking for this, being that that is all we
are doing now is studying Abstraction.
"

Why not

(a) develop and edit the generic spec and body in separate files

(b) concatenate the files together to compile them, GWAda will allow
more than one unit in a single file, and in the case of generic, insists
on this arrangement.

That seems *easily* the best way to solve your immediate problem

* Re: GNU ADA Compiler
@ 1996-04-10  0:00   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> ... we hope to see
> a GNAT appear for the MAC shortly, but not, I fear in time to complete
> your assignment.

Robert, first of all, the computer name is Mac, not MAC, Mac is an apple's
name. Mac fans care about this distinction, they do not want to be confused
with the late Military Airlift Command (or nasty PC users).

(I'm sorry, that was cheap, but I just could not resist! :)