* converting ada to html
@ 1996-04-03  0:00 Mark Hertel
From: Mark Hertel @ 1996-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if there are any tools for converting ada source to
html documents.  I found ada2html by David Wheeler but it requires
GNAT.  Are there any converters that don't rely on GNAT?

Mark Hertel
mhertel@alphatech.com

* Re: converting ada to html
@ 1996-04-04  0:00 ` David Wheeler
From: David Wheeler @ 1996-04-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Hertel (mhertel@alphatech.com) wrote:

: I was wondering if there are any tools for converting ada source to
: html documents.  I found ada2html by David Wheeler but it requires
: GNAT.  Are there any converters that don't rely on GNAT?

: Mark Hertel
: mhertel@alphatech.com

"src2ada" doesn't require GNAT, it's at URL:
  http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/young/software/src2www.html

Src2ada is nice for what it does, but it does _NOT_ create hypertext links
between uses and definitions (with statements, declarations and uses, etc).
Src2ada is bent on creating an alphabetical index.  That's a really
significant limitation, so much so that I wrote ada2html.  I think
you'll find that ada2html will give you better final results
(in my unbiased opinion :-)).

You don't have to use GNAT to _compile_ your code; you can use ada2html
on Ada95 code that you compile with other compilers.

Hope that helps.

--- David A. Wheeler
Net address: wheeler@ida.org

* Re: converting ada to html
@ 1996-04-04  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-04-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"I was wondering if there are any tools for converting ada source to
html documents.  I found ada2html by David Wheeler but it requires
GNAT.  Are there any converters that don't rely on GNAT?"

Why not consider GNAT to be just part of the tool? You can perfectly
well use ada2html and GNAT as a tool for achieving this conversion
whether or not you use GNAT for any other purpose.

* Re: converting ada to html
@ 1996-04-04  0:00   ` Mark Hertel
From: Mark Hertel @ 1996-04-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.828631059@schonberg>, Robert Dewar <dewar@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

>Why not consider GNAT to be just part of the tool? You can perfectly
>well use ada2html and GNAT as a tool for achieving this conversion
>whether or not you use GNAT for any other purpose.

It has more to do with getting it installed which requires far more
work than just downloading some simple utility. I personally want to get
GNAT loaded on our machines, but I have to get the powers that be to
agree.

On the other hand I was sent a web reference to src2www which wasn't what
I wanted but that web page had a link to another page with a modified
version of vgrind, which was useful. The wonders of distributed knowledge.

Mark Hertel

* Re: converting ada to html
@ 1996-04-05  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark said

"It has more to do with getting it installed which requires far more
work than just downloading some simple utility. I personally want to get
GNAT loaded on our machines, but I have to get the powers that be to
agree."

That's not true, as long as you have sufficient disk space, you can just
install GNAT in your own directory tree, and you do NOT need to get the
powers that be to agree. Just download the GNAT sources, and follow the
installation option to install in a specified directory. Thousands of
others have succeeded in following these instructions :-)