* Re: GNAT 3.03 for OS/2
@ 1996-03-29  0:00 John Howard
From: John Howard @ 1996-03-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Mar 1996, John Norcross wrote to Robert Dewar:
[..deletions..]
> Who knows, you might be surprised at how many OS/2 supporters/users
> there are out here!

My list is at 39 users who've either contacted me or posted they use GNAT
for OS/2.  Of course, there are more but I don't know who they are.

> Both Ada's and OS/2's popularity seem to be gaining mind share.

My list was around 15 in early October.  By that measure, interest has
grown about 250% in six months.

Not bad, considering all the disinformation about the demise of OS/2
which has coincided with the release of Windows 95.  We can do better
though as long as OS/2 developers get to conveniently see and try Ada 95.

> I realize you are a big fan of OS/2 - why not consider this sugestion
> and help promote GNAT's continued health on OS/2?
>
> Ada's got a date with Merlin on my system this summer :)

OpenDoc, OpenGL, Win32, and Java support should be generally available
for OS/2 users this Summer.  Ada development for OS/2 will grow faster
once IBM allows GNAT onto their Developer Connection CD's.

To me, the hitch has always been finding and getting the GNAT copyright
holder to sign the release waiver and statement of ownership which IBM
requires.  I assumed it would be a done deal last Fall and so I stopped
pursuing it.

I don't mind being the contact person responsible for sending updates of
GNAT to the IBM DevCon staff.  I just need to get the two forms signed
and released by the Free Software Foundation.

Any ideas on which individual with FSF officially signs the forms?

-- John Howard <jhoward@sky.net>               -- Team Ada  Team OS/2 --

* Re: GNAT 3.03 for OS/2
@ 1996-04-01  0:00 Simon Johnston
From: Simon Johnston @ 1996-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> T.E.D. said
>
> ""On the other hand, I'm sure ACT will gladly accept donations.""
>
> Well we are certainly not soliciting donations, but a couple of people have
> been eager to make donations. I didn't want these just to get folded into
> ACT's operating expenses, so I decided to match them from ACT funds, and
> create a special prize fund to be used to award prizes to students who
> make valuable contributions to the free software world in general, and
> GNAT in particular.

What a nice idea - three chears for the nice people at ACT!

> We already have a couple of hundred dollars in this fund, so we don't need
> more donations, and we will figure out how to give this away when we get
> a chance (we are not exactly idle around here). I will make an appropriate
> CLA announcement (and acknolwedge those who have made donations) on CLA
> at a later date.

are you sure that you "don't need more donations"? - I think this
would be a nice thing to continue, though obviously the idea of ACT
matching all donations is unfair from your point of view, perhaps if
it catches on and enough donations are made then ACT would not have
to match donations. Sorry just my random thoughts.

> Robert Dewar
> Ada Core Technologies

with StandardDisclaimer; use StandardDisclaimer;
package Sig is
--,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
--|Simon K. Johnston - Development Engineer (C++/Ada95) |ICL Retail Systems |
--|-----------------------------------------------------|3/4 Willoughby Road|
--|Unix Mail: skj@acm.org                               |Bracknell          |
--|Telephone: +44 (0)1344 476320 Fax: +44 (0)1344 476302|Berkshire          |
--|Internal : 7261 6320   OP Mail: S.K.Johnston@BRA0801 |RG12 8TJ           |
--|WWW URL  : http://www.acm.org/~skj/                  |United Kingdom     |
--`-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
end Sig;

* Re: GNAT 3.03 for OS/2
@ 1996-03-31  0:00 Kees de Lezenne Coulande
From: Kees de Lezenne Coulande @ 1996-03-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Howard <jhoward@SOLAR.SKY.NET> wrote:

>My list is at 39 users who've either contacted me or posted they use GNAT
>for OS/2.  Of course, there are more but I don't know who they are.

     I would like to register my interest in GNAT for OS/2. I am trying to port
some large Ada83 programmes from VAX to PC. Last summer, I tried GNAT 2.06 for
DOS. This gave many problems and never resulted in an executable programme.
Whatever could be pinpointed as compiler problems was submitted to Dewar c.s.
who took care of everything with their usual efficiency. I was also left with
quite a few vague compiler aborts which I could not immediately track down.
     Then there was a lenghty gap while awaiting the release of the next GNAT
version. During this time, I installed OS/2 on my 486 PC and increased memory
from 8 to 20 Mb. In other words, I was trying to follow the recommendations of
Robert Dewar for a stable PC platform (I know he recommends 32 Mb, but on
account of the age of my system I decided to try 20 Mb first, which seems OK).
     When GNAT 3.01 for OS/2 became available in December, I could resume my
efforts with increased enthusiasm. I found this version of GNAT to be a great
improvement, but still not without problems. Although I still needed
work-arounds here and there, I managed to get two programmes up and running on
OS/2. Now I could finally prove what I had been suspecting for some time, namely
that even my venerable PC is comparable in speed to the VAX I was using.
     A third programme is still plagued by compiler problems. These have been
submitted to ACT and they assure me that all but one have been solved on 3.04.
For the one that is left, a work-around is possible. I am therefore anxiously
awaiting the release of 3.04 for OS/2, because if no new problems crop up, I
should finally be able to compile and link all my VAX Ada code (of course the
programme that does not run yet, happens to be the most important of the three).
     Regarding OS/2 itself, I approached it with a bit of trepidation initially.
But it installed without any problems right off the CD-Rom, and I have gradually
learned to like it. I am not a GUI-person, so the fact that one can have
multiple command-line sessions of two different flavours is a big plus. I would
hate to see GNAT for OS/2 dropped, because then I might run out of excuses to
avoid Windows 95. So I hope that Robert Dewar will remain an OS/2 enthusiast for
a long time.
                                   Kees de Lezenne Coulander
  C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
  Amsterdam-Zuidoost
  The Netherlands                        Tel: +31(20)6909238
  E-mail: 100121.1153@compuserve.com

Formerly with Fokker Aircraft, now looking for a new challenge.

* GNAT 3.03 for OS/2
@ 1996-03-22  0:00 Dale Pontius
From: Dale Pontius @ 1996-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an estimated date for this?
Is it being held up by porting to emx 0.9b?
Are the changes from 3.01 to 3.01 significant?
What does it take for the AIX port to be updated?

Thanks,
Dale Pontius
(NOT speaking for IBM)