From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada Validation
Date: 1996/03/27
Date: 1996-03-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Tore said

"Tore said

"GNAT 3.00 for SGI is validated (I'm not sure how it works, but I guess
3.04 is validated too (?)). The other ports use more or less the same
code. If I've understood resent postings correctly, the reason for not
validating all the ports is that a validation is expensive (I think
somebody mentioned twenty grands, which is much to spend on a free
compiler"

Tore, you have not understood these "recent postings", indeed I have
no idea what you are talking about. GNAT may be free, but of course
serious use of GNAT with support is not free, and users who rquire
validation are typically not casual hobbyists (who tpically do not
care about validation).

Ada Core Technologies is planning on validating on all major targets.
We decided not to do any further validations under 2.0, and we are
now working on 2.0.1 validation.

Out validation schedule is not determined, and will be decided on the
basis of commercial considerations and requirements.

Note that the 3.04 that you pull off by anonymous FTP is not technically
validated, althugh it may be from the same code base as the validated
compiler. To have a compiler that meets formal validation requirements,
you must have a contract with one of the certificate holders, i.e.
from SGI or from Ada Core Technlogies.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies