* DoD Ada95: Nasa buys an Ada95 compiler and all the world hated the DoD.
@ 1996-03-27  0:00 Kenneth Mays
From: Kenneth Mays @ 1996-03-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject:
NASA buys the Thomson Ada95 compiler and all the world hated the DoD.

Greetings,

Due to many rumors and critisms about Ada95 in the defense industry,
I will try to set the record straight in simple terms. The Department
of Defense is standing behind Ada95. All of their work is falling
under both the CIM (Corporate Information Management) and C4I
(Command, Control, Communication, Computers and Intelligence) which
will support this programming language (one day).

Why? The cost effectiveness and efficiency of maintaining Ada95 over
C++ is one of many reasons. The main areas are long-term maintainance
and support. The DoD is concerned that years from now, will the
programmers of tommorrow understand the programs of today?!

There was a rumor about waivers to use C++ in place of Ada95. This is
NOT going to happen, based on the DoD mandate.  My recent notes on
this subject explains that in a life development cycle you provide
leeway to use both programming languages - where it is cost effective
and not time-consuming (think productivity). I don't think I need to
go into a discussion on system programming versus application
programming. Why use PowerBuilder/Delphi/Visual Basic when you can do
it all in C++??? (Oh no Ken, don't say that!)

Sidenote: The concept of this is when I did system/application
programming utilizing DEC PDP-11 minicomputers in the 1980s, We used
BASIC/BASIC-PLUS/PASCAL for the majority of our work. The code was
extremely easy to maintain, understand, and very productive. Then, we
had to start programming in C on a DEC VAX-11/780. Our team leader
was from MIT, and he even barked at the use of C (what a waste of
time).  We spent days looking at code - trying to figure out what the
previous DEC engineers had done. We managed to get by, and in 1984 I
got smart and bought the C Primer Book (the first edition) from The
Waite Group.  Learning C was a little easier than programming in
PDP-11 assembler, but there lies the same principle. It is NOT cost
effective to use assembler where C++ is sufficient, neither is it
cost effective to use C++ where Ada95 works very well. You are
dealing with nonprogrammers as well as programmers - it relates to
what project you are working on and the maintainance and/or support
people of that project. Kind of an MIS project management issue. Pull
out your PERT/CPM charts!

 The DoD COTS (Commercial Off the Shelf) ideas merit the use of
commercially buying available software - so its not the DoD's fault
if the compiler writers don't comply to the current standard. You
can't blame the DoD for decent Ada95 tutorials not available at your
local bookstore. Is there a book on "Teaching Yourself Ada95 in 21
Days" by Sams Publishing (no offense)?? Will it come with a CD with a
free Ada95 compiler and Ada95 tools so you can do decent programming
on your IBM-PC compatible computer AT HOME!!!???!!?? I see Visual C++
V1.0 and V2.0 are available in bookstores with the book on "Teaching
Yourself Visual C++ in 12 easy lessons."

 Are you still waiting on djgpp V2.x for use with GNAT-95 V3.03 for
MSDOS?  More waiting? Guess you'll use the Linux version again! I
state this with the reason that in over a million homes, the IBM PC
(compatible) is the commonplace home computer (besides the
Commodore-Amiga computer
 (smile)). Why then, are we not emphasizing more Ada95 tools on the
PC that we can port to our mainframe/minicomputer counterparts?!? Is
there a SGI laptop home computer in the house? I'd rather install
Slackware Linux on a PC laptop and see real productive work in Ada95
on a plane ride to Ada-Europe!!! The Department of Defense should
look more at helping the "closet engineers" and home hobbyists who
have made the Internet (even TCP/IP NT (V6)  and  MBone) what it is
today. Put Ada95 tools in the hands on small businesses and students
- not expensive workstations or ineffective noncomplaint Ada95
compilers (no fingers pointed)! Tell the truth about Ada95 and how we
can help, and stop trying to slap marketing hype in our faces.

Many programmers don't have a clue about  ATLAS and JOVIAL. They
probably never programmed in Smalltalk 80/V or RPG II or COBOL (ha).
They don't have to maintain these languages, so why should they care?
When you have to start paying billions of dollars in maintaining
"buggy" code (not to leave Ada95 out of that arena),  you too will
start looking for a programming language that is not only a little
more productive - but somewhat EASIER to maintain and debug as well.
; -)  Ken L. Mays

Please refer to:
htp://www.stl.nps.navy.mil/lists/c4ipro
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC
Other hotspots:
http://www.acm.org/SigAda
http://www.algonet.se/~agora/ada
http://www.docs.uu.se/disada95
http://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu

* Re: DoD Ada95: Nasa buys an Ada95 compiler and all the world hated the DoD.
@ 1996-03-27  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-03-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth says

" Are you still waiting on djgpp V2.x for use with GNAT-95 V3.03 for
MSDOS?  More waiting? Guess you'll use the Linux version again! I
state this with the reason that in over a million homes, the IBM PC
(compatible) is the commonplace home computer (besides the
Commodore-Amiga computer"

The good news here is that we expect a release of 3.04 for DOS with
both djgpp V2.x and full tasking support in the near future. We have
this working interally in house at Ada Core Technologies, and expect
to be releasing it fairly soon.