From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Debug Code
Date: 1996/03/25
Date: 1996-03-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Sundog said

"Which seems like a pain to convert each of these into procedure's and rely
on code-trimming to remove the unused debug code. (On my non-RR projects the
conditional is normally not a function call so I can RELY ON CODE-TRIMMING
along with a per module trace variable that requires editing to change).
I would think that Pragma Debug would be painfull for GNAT since I am
not aware of a code trimming option or unused data optimization."

Whether or not you get removal of unused subprograms right now with GNAT
is an OS issue, not a GNAT issue. For example, in AIX it comes for
free. That's a pity, but is part of the price to pay for following
system standards closely (note that C does not get code trimming either
in most Unix environments). It's less of a concern than it used to be
in the days of 640K memories :-)

We do have a scheme for OS independnet removal of unused subprorams, but
it is not going to appear in the next week or two!

Pragma Debug cannot be particularly painful, sice it is an optional
addition that you should not use if it causes you pain :-)

It is of course perfectly reasonable to use some extrnal preprocessor
to provide for full conditional compilation if that's what you really
want (it's not something I would ever want to do, but there are those
who do!)