From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Looking for help finding code for sort program..
Date: 1996/03/19
Date: 1996-03-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"I am puzzled why everyone thinks it a sin to look outside of one's textbook for
an answer.  What is the basis that says software must totally eminate from the
mind of the programmer?"

When I assign a program as an excercise for a student to help them learn
how to program, I do not have in mind that they should completely the
assignment by persuading some kind but gullible soul on CLA to do the
work for them. Pretty clearly in this case, the poster seems to at
least have some concern that someone will think that a sin is involved,
since they posted anonymously.

The most helpful thing one can do in responding to such a request is to
give advice WITHOUT doing the student's work for them. THat way you
contribute to the learning rather than short circuiting it.

Of course there is value in students seeing good programs written by
others, but there is also value in students programming for themselves.