From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: A programmer gets a part time job
Date: 1996/03/18
Date: 1996-03-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

ger
  I was really startled to see this story appearing in prose, because
  I heard it about 13 years ago on the radio (Dick Cerry's Music Americana
  show) in the form of an Irish-American folk song entitled "Why McNulty's
  Not at Work Today".  If you thought it was funny in prose, you should
  have heard it sung with an Irish lilt.  I suspect that the author of
  the song may have been of the sort who wear orange on March 17th, and
  that he may have written it in the same spirit as "Who Put the Overalls
  in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder".  Pass it back.
Tom"

No, no! it is MUCH older than that, and the author is a favorite of mine.
Do people really not know these comedy routines?