* PVM, MPI, Ada?
@ 1996-02-20  0:00 David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1996-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recall reading somewhere a while ago that there was going to be a
PVM binding available for Ada.  This looked like a good idea, but it
seems that MPI is moving into PVM's spot as "Parallel Architecture du
Jour".  Does anybody know if there is an MPI binding for Ada?  Does
anybody else think both those standards are somewhat redundant with
Ada 95's annexes?  Does anybody care? :-)

--
		    GNAT = GNAT is Not an Ada Translator
==Ada 95 Booch Components: www.ocsystems.com/booch or www.dfw.net/~dweller==

* Re: PVM, MPI, Ada?
@ 1996-02-21  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Weller said

"GNAT = GNAT is Not an Ada Translator"

Laurent Guerby said:

"Hum, GNAT = the GNU Ada 95 compiler ;-)"

Laurent, you missed the point, Dave was suggesting a new retronym for
GNAT. Another suggestion was "Great New Ada Technology" (from Tom Griest).
But I am afraid your entry does not fit the rules :-)

* Re: PVM, MPI, Ada?
@ 1996-02-21  0:00 ` Laurent Guerby
From: Laurent Guerby @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Weller writes
:
: I recall reading somewhere a while ago that there was going to be a
: PVM binding available for Ada.  This looked like a good idea, but it
: seems that MPI is moving into PVM's spot as "Parallel Architecture du
: Jour".  Does anybody know if there is an MPI binding for Ada?  Does
: anybody else think both those standards are somewhat redundant with
: Ada 95's annexes?  Does anybody care? :-)

PVM and MPI are assembly languages compared to the distributed annex
(distribution/network "without the pain"). They can be used to build
the annex, they are not "redundant" ;-).

: 		    GNAT = GNAT is Not an Ada Translator

Hum, GNAT = the GNU Ada 95 compiler ;-)

: ==Ada 95 Booch Components: www.ocsystems.com/booch or www.dfw.net/~dweller==

J - 8

--  Laurent Guerby, student at Telecom Bretagne (FRANCE), Team Ada
--  mailto:Laurent.Guerby@enst-bretagne.fr
--  http://www-eleves.enst-bretagne.fr/~guerby/
--  Try GNAT, the GNU Ada 95 compiler (ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat)

* Re: PVM, MPI, Ada?
@ 1996-02-23  0:00 ` Kevin Weise
From: Kevin Weise @ 1996-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4gdbvk$81o@dfw.dfw.net>, David Weller <dweller@dfw.net> wrote:
>I recall reading somewhere a while ago that there was going to be a
>PVM binding available for Ada.  This looked like a good idea, but it
>seems that MPI is moving into PVM's spot as "Parallel Architecture du
>Jour".  Does anybody know if there is an MPI binding for Ada?  Does
>anybody else think both those standards are somewhat redundant with
>Ada 95's annexes?  Does anybody care? :-)

Presuming you are referring to the MPI product from Argonne National Lab,
there is no Ada binding to it to the best of my knowledge.  My wife is
working on a project here that uses MPI on a (currently HP but soon to be)
customized parallel platform.  She hasn't studied the Ada95 annexes, and I
haven't studied the MPI documentation (although she tells me there are
confusing cut'n'paste errors all throughout the MPI manual).  We both
remarked that an Ada 95 binding for MPI would be "a good thing", esp.
when considering the lengths one has to go through to define data structures.
We care; but between jobs & family, we just dont't have the time to do
anything more than encourage others to keep us abreast of their progress.

Perhaps someone from ABWG could give a more upbeat response.  (Or get some
activity going for this binding :-)

--
Kevin J. Weise                  kweise@colsa.com
COLSA Corp.                     Voice:  205-922-1512 ext. 2115