* ADA and OS/2
@ 1991-01-30 21:48 Johannes Bruns
From: Johannes Bruns @ 1991-01-30 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Who knows an implementation of ADA running under OS/2 ?
Please describe its main features in a few words.

Thanks to everone who can help me !

Hannes.

* Re: ADA and OS/2
@ 1991-02-01 14:51 ` Billy Yow 283-4009
From: Billy Yow 283-4009 @ 1991-02-01 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

The only OS/2 version of Ada that I know of is the one by Alsys.  I
don't know very much about it (saw it in 1988) but it did not have any
binding to the presentation manager and was just a 16 bit version (OS/2
is also just 16 bits).  I don't know if they still sell it or not or
plan to upgrade to Version 2.0.  The version I saw was for verion 1.0 or
1.1 of OS/2.

                                          Bill Yow
                                          yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-21  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

scot_gould asked

"Other than GNAT, I have been unable to locate any other Ada compiler that produc
es
OS/2 code. Have I missed somebody?

Also, does anyone have experience with ActivAda running under OS/2?
Which version of Win32s does it require? Thanks."

You did not specify if you are interested in Ada 83 or Ada 95. Certainly
GNAT is the only OS/2 Ada 95 compiler, but if Ada 83 is of interest,
Alsys certainly had an OS/2 compiler at one point, and as far as I know,
this is still marketed. You should contact Thompson Software for details.

* Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-21  0:00 scot_gould
From: scot_gould @ 1996-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-02-24  0:00   ` scot_gould
From: scot_gould @ 1996-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <dewar.824940521@schonberg>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>You did not specify if you are interested in Ada 83 or Ada 95. Certainly
>GNAT is the only OS/2 Ada 95 compiler, but if Ada 83 is of interest,
>Alsys certainly had an OS/2 compiler at one point, and as far as I know,
>this is still marketed. You should contact Thompson Software for details.

As I said, other than GNAT, I could not find any other Ada 95 (or 83) versions.
Sadly, Alsys does not exist (as stated by Thompson Software) plus they don't
know if ActivAda works under OS/2....hence the questions.

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-24  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"As I said, other than GNAT, I could not find any other Ada 95 (or 83) versions.
Sadly, Alsys does not exist (as stated by Thompson Software) plus they don't
know if ActivAda works under OS/2....hence the questions."

Thomposon *is* Alsys, the old Alsys technology is still marketed by
Thompson. You are not interetsed in whe
Whether ActivAda works under OS/2 (it almost certainly does), you
want to know if they are still supporting their old OS/2 compiler
technology. This compiler was validated, so it is certainly
reasonably complete, although it is certainly Ada 83 and unlikely
to be updated to Ada 95 I would guess.

Can someone from Thompson clarify? I hope I got things right!

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-24  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

One thing that would be interesting is to know exactly what you are looking
for in an OS/2 Ada compiler. In what respect does GNAT not meet your
requirements?

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-24  0:00 J. Hjort
From: J. Hjort @ 1996-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <4ge8c0$fo0@jaws.cs.hmc.edu> - scot_gould@ writes:
:>
:>Other than GNAT, I have been unable to locate any other Ada compiler that produces
:>OS/2 code. Have I missed somebody?
:>

Thompson Software Products (formerly Alsys) has an Ada83 compiler for OS/2.
I don't know if it has been updated to support Ada95.  They can be reached
at 619-457-2700 x244 or adainfo@thomsoft.com.

J. Hjort [hjort@acm.org]

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-26  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> they don't know if ActivAda works under OS/2....
> Whether ActivAda works under OS/2 (it almost certainly does), ...
  The Personal ActivAda on my machine does not work under OS/2.
The binder fails (probably a DPMI problem?).

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-27  0:00       ` scot_gould
From: scot_gould @ 1996-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not according to the sales person @ Thompson I spoke to.

>You are not interetsed in whe
>Whether ActivAda works under OS/2 (it almost certainly does), you
>want to know if they are still supporting their old OS/2 compiler
>technology. This compiler was validated, so it is certainly
>reasonably complete, although it is certainly Ada 83 and unlikely
>to be updated to Ada 95 I would guess.

It appears to be Ada95.

Thanks, anyway.

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-27  0:00       ` scot_gould
From: scot_gould @ 1996-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <dewar.825209960@schonberg>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>One thing that would be interesting is to know exactly what you are looking
>for in an OS/2 Ada compiler. In what respect does GNAT not meet your
>requirements?

Good point. GNAT is slow, bloated and lacks an integrated interface.  For most
of my projects, development is 99% of the time allocated, execution is only 1%, hence
a development system with a good interface is worth far more than a compiler
that produces fast code.

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-27  0:00 ` Kevin Krieser
From: Kevin Krieser @ 1996-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thompson Software Products (formerly Alsys) has an Ada83 compiler for OS/2.
> I don't know if it has been updated to support Ada95.  They can be reached
> at 619-457-2700 x244 or adainfo@thomsoft.com.

I contacted them in the past, and I was told that it was no longer a supported
product (and I guess they don't sell it anymore, either).  They did point out the
nice, new, Windows NT compiler<G>.

-- Kevin Krieser
-- kkrieser@ionet.net
-- Running with Warp Connect

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-27  0:00 ` scot_gould
From: scot_gould @ 1996-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <4gsqe3$4pd@news2.delphi.com>, tmoran@bix.com writes:
>  The Personal ActivAda on my machine does not work under OS/2.
>The binder fails (probably a DPMI problem?).
Harsh.

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 1996-02-27  0:00 ` scot_gould
From: scot_gould @ 1996-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <4gn91r$kas@donatello.leonardo.net>, hjort@acm.org (J. Hjort) writes:
>Thompson Software Products (formerly Alsys) has an Ada83 compiler for OS/2.
>I don't know if it has been updated to support Ada95.  They can be reached
>at 619-457-2700 x244 or adainfo@thomsoft.com.

Unfortunately, they nolonger support this product, nor will they willing to sell
it to me, hence Aysis appears to be dead.

* Re: ADA and OS/2
@ 1997-11-23  0:00 ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 1997-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 06:39:55 -0500, Jules Gilbert wrote:

:>I run OS/2.  What are my Ada options?
:>
You may use gnat. I am using gnat-3.09 and it works fine. If you like
to do PM-programing, this is no real problem. There are OS/2
bindings available as well.

See i.e.: ftp-site: cs.nyu.edu /pub/gnat/os2 and /pub/gnat/bindings

:>See http://www.symbolic-mechanics.com
:>One place to start is the /verne sub-dir.

* Re: ADA and OS/2
@ 1997-11-23  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jules Gilbert wrote:

> I run OS/2.  What are my Ada options?

GNAT for OS/2 is a complete implementation of Ada 95, and is fully
supported by Ada Core Technologies. Send mail to sales@gnat.com for
details.

* ADA and OS/2
@ 1997-11-23  0:00 Jules Gilbert
From: Jules Gilbert @ 1997-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-11-23  0:00 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 1997-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jules Gilbert wrote:

> I run OS/2.  What are my Ada options?

ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

The GNU Ada compiler.

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen
//    tarjei@online.no || voice +47 51 62 85 58

* Re: ADA and OS/2
@ 1997-11-25  0:00 ` R. Karl Werner
From: R. Karl Werner @ 1997-11-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jules Gilbert wrote in message <3478160B.410B@aasp.net>...
>I run OS/2.  What are my Ada options?
>
>See http://www.symbolic-mechanics.com
>One place to start is the /verne sub-dir.

Try http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC and http://www.adahome.com

* Ada and OS/2
@ 1999-10-24  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn815aue.1oe.aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk>,
  aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk wrote:
> I've heard really good things about HPFS, is it the OS design
> or the file system itself that's doing it?

Well the high performance version is HPFS386, which is what I
use, and it seems to have far more effective caching
capabilities than competitive systems on Linux or NT.

The new file system in the latest versions of OS/2 is a
compeltely new journaling file system, which is supposed
to be still faster, but I have not yet tried this.

I must say that I find OS/2 to be an excellent platform for
Ada development, certainly far better than NT, I am not enough
of a Unix expert to fairly judge Linux as an alternative.

The one measurement I gave is an interesting one, which is
linking the whole of the GNAT compiler (i.e. gnat1). This
used to take about 50 seconds on my note book using 286 HPFS,
and that seems comparable (given the speed of my machine)
with what you see on NT or Linux, but using 386 HPFS, the
link takes about 7 seconds, apparently because of the very
effective caching of object files. Fast linking is always
welcome :-)

Anyway, if you do want to give OS/2 a try, as I noted in a
It is indeed already prepared, and we are just doing some
basic sanity checks on it this weekend before posting it.

It's nice to know there are some fellow OS/2 Ada users out
there, and as I have said before, you can expect better
support for OS/2 GNAT in the future (we actually have two
OS/2 enthusiasts at Ada Core Technologies :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Ada and OS/2
@ 2000-05-04  0:00 David Dousette
From: David Dousette @ 2000-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any other options for an Ada 95 compiler for OS/2 besides
GNAT?

Thanks,
David

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 2000-05-08  0:00   ` David Dousette
From: David Dousette @ 2000-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was having a few troubles getting it set up at first, and I had a few
misconceptions regarding GNU development tools.  But I had assistance via
email and a closer read of the readme file, and I also had a lot of my
misconceptions cleared up, so now I can't wait till I get to the chapter in
my Ada book when it tells me I can touch the keyboard... ;^)

Thanks!
Dave

Christoph Seelhorst wrote:

> I have checked the Ada market since quite some years, but I do not know
> of any other OS/2 Ada compiler.
> Years ago I tried the (then) Alsys Personal Ada for Windows, but it did
> not cooperate with WinOS2.
> So it seems that Gnat is our only choice, but what is bad with it??
>
> Cheers, Christoph
>
> David Dousette wrote:
>
> > Are there any other options for an Ada 95 compiler for OS/2 besides
> > GNAT?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 2000-05-08  0:00 ` Christoph Seelhorst
From: Christoph Seelhorst @ 2000-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Dousette wrote:

> Are there any other options for an Ada 95 compiler for OS/2 besides
> GNAT?
>
> Thanks,
> David

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 2000-05-10  0:00       ` John Merryweather Cooper
From: John Merryweather Cooper @ 2000-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, it works quite well.  Cygwin and GNAT for WinDoze on the otherhand need
to be "kept at arms length" from each other.

jmc
======================
"Christoph Seelhorst" <christoph.seelhorst@gmx.de> wrote in message
> What seems another great thing to me is the fact that you can combine Gnat
with
> the other variations of emx, e.g. GCC , g++ and g77.  Well, I THINK it
will
> work, I have not really made in-depth testing there.  If anyone has
experience
> reports, I'd be glad to know.
>
> Cheers,  Christoph
>

> David Dousette wrote:
>
> > I was having a few troubles getting it set up at first, and I had a few
> > misconceptions regarding GNU development tools.  But I had assistance
via
> > email and a closer read of the readme file, and I also had a lot of my
> > misconceptions cleared up, so now I can't wait till I get to the chapter
in
> > my Ada book when it tells me I can touch the keyboard... ;^)
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Dave
> >
> > Christoph Seelhorst wrote:
> >
> > > I have checked the Ada market since quite some years, but I do not
know
> > > of any other OS/2 Ada compiler.
> > > Years ago I tried the (then) Alsys Personal Ada for Windows, but it
did
> > > not cooperate with WinOS2.
> > > So it seems that Gnat is our only choice, but what is bad with it??
> > >
> > > Cheers, Christoph

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 2000-05-10  0:00     ` Christoph Seelhorst
From: Christoph Seelhorst @ 2000-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Dousette wrote:

> I was having a few troubles getting it set up at first, and I had a few
> misconceptions regarding GNU development tools.  But I had assistance via
> email and a closer read of the readme file, and I also had a lot of my
> misconceptions cleared up, so now I can't wait till I get to the chapter in
> my Ada book when it tells me I can touch the keyboard... ;^)
>
> Thanks!
> Dave
>
> Christoph Seelhorst wrote:
>
> > I have checked the Ada market since quite some years, but I do not know
> > of any other OS/2 Ada compiler.
> > Years ago I tried the (then) Alsys Personal Ada for Windows, but it did
> > not cooperate with WinOS2.
> > So it seems that Gnat is our only choice, but what is bad with it??
> >
> > Cheers, Christoph
> >
> > David Dousette wrote:
> >
> > > Are there any other options for an Ada 95 compiler for OS/2 besides
> > > GNAT?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > David

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 2000-05-11  0:00         ` Geoff Bull
From: Geoff Bull @ 2000-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> Cygwin and GNAT for WinDoze on the otherhand need
> to be "kept at arms length" from each other.

What exactly do you mean by that?

I use gnat and cygwin together - typically invoking
gnatmake from cygwin make or cygwin bash.
But I never use the gcc included with cygwin.

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 2000-05-11  0:00           ` Geoff Bull
From: Geoff Bull @ 2000-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Geoff Bull wrote:
> I use gnat and cygwin together - typically invoking
> gnatmake from cygwin make or cygwin bash.
> But I never use the gcc included with cygwin.

But not on OS/2.

oops!

* Re: Ada and OS/2
@ 2000-05-13  0:00           ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au> writes:

> John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> > Cygwin and GNAT for WinDoze on the otherhand need
> > to be "kept at arms length" from each other.
>
> What exactly do you mean by that?
>
> I use gnat and cygwin together - typically invoking
> gnatmake from cygwin make or cygwin bash.
> But I never use the gcc included with cygwin.

Aha!  Some releases ago, both cygwin gcc and GNAT gcc used the same
registry entries to locate the gcc directories (where the actual C and
ada frontends reside).  That's the reason why you could only use only
one gcc installation (unless you had some small script which changed
the registry before you invoked one version or the other).  I don't
know if the situation has changed recently.