From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Renaming GNAT? (was Re: Ada to C convertor)
Date: 1996/02/17
Date: 1996-02-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jon Anthony said

"I don't understand how this is true.  Since Gnat is under FSF
copyleft, and its sources are easily obtainable, and part of the
_intent_ of it was that universities and others would have a readily
available Ada compiler to do language experiments with, I believe that
it does indeed fit this perspective.  Now clearly that is _not_ what
will happen to the standard adhering, ACVC validated evolving versions
of it maintained by ACT, but that seems a different point."

Yet it is true. Surely people can play with extended versions of the
language in their own copies, and if they like distribute them, but
at least so far, the version maintained by ACT with the FSF copyright,
is exactly Ada 95, and NOT an extension of it.