From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: GNAT 2.04 Install Problem!!!
Date: 1995/04/21
Date: 1995-04-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Gosh Jim (Dorman), you must be the producer of truly great software if you
never had the experience of doing what you thought was thorough testing and
then finding out that a product you had shipped had a bug!

If you achieve this reliably (never sending out software with a bug), you must
be hugely successful, since I know of no other company or software product
for the general use environment that can make such a claim. Indeed I suggest
you share your secrets with Borland, Microsoft, and Lotus as soon as possible.

Of course we don't guarantee that GNAT is bug free. The best we can do is
to respond to problems, which we do as quickly as possible. As I have noted
the TZ stuff was a real pain (caused by all our beta testers who tried the
thing out living in EST, a mistake of course we won't repeat).

Note that the documentation ALWAYS gave the solution to this problem, so
the problems were caused by not carefully following the documentation. But
it is still a bug, because good software should not make you read the
documentation carefully. So the best we can do is to fix it, and we already
have in our wave front version. 2.05 (with this fix and other new features
and new fixes) will be out sometime next week.

Certainly if you are demanding software that is guaranteed to be 100% free
of problems, please do not talk to us, and please do not use GNAT. Instead
by all means go knock on Jim Dorman's door, or any other door that you think
can provide such service :-)