* Ada binaries pretty large
@ 1995-04-20  0:00 D. Christian Griffin
From: D. Christian Griffin @ 1995-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why are ada binaries (Gnat 2.0.4 on SunOS), at least 230K no matter what
the size of the code is (a couple of lines of code).  Is there debugging
code being added to this?  How can I get around this?

					Thanks
					Chris

|        Chris Griffin              |  "That which does not kill you      |
|  University Of South Florida      |       makes you irritable"          |
|    College of Engineering         |            -Nietzsche's Girlfriend  |
| dgriffin@sunburst.eng.usf.edu     |                                     |

* Re: Ada binaries pretty large
@ 1995-04-20  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Probably the binaries have debugging information in them, depends how your
system was installed and what options you are using. Did you simply run
strip on your binaries to see what happened? If not, that's what strip
is for!

* Re: Ada binaries pretty large
@ 1995-04-20  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my EMX OS/2 system, the size of the executable for the null program
is about 22K bytes after it is stripped, this represents the size of
the runtime that is always included. Probably should be able to be
reduced much further than that, but we have not really looked at that
issue. Of course the actual size in memory is smaller, I am just giving
the size of the OS/2 file, which has gosh knows what in it.

* Re: Ada binaries pretty large
@ 1995-04-21  0:00 ` Chris O'Regan
From: Chris O'Regan @ 1995-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3n51ng$q67@mother.usf.edu>

CG := D. Christian Griffin <dgriffin@eng.usf.edu>

CG>Why are ada binaries (Gnat 2.0.4 on SunOS), at least 230K no matter what
CG>the size of the code is (a couple of lines of code).  Is there debugging
CG>code being added to this?  How can I get around this?

   Have you tried compiling and linking with the "-O2" option?  Have you
stripped the binary?  C programs tend to compile into large binaries as
well.

   (Side note: Just stripped a Linux Gnat binary.  Original size: 200Kb;
stripped size: 50Kb.)

              Chris O'Regan <ct_orega@ECE.Concordia.CA>
     Computer Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
           http://www.ECE.Concordia.CA/~ct_orega/addr.html

* Re: Ada binaries pretty large
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1995-04-22  0:00 ` Bob Kitzberger
From: Bob Kitzberger @ 1995-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

: Why are ada binaries (Gnat 2.0.4 on SunOS), at least 230K no matter what
: the size of the code is (a couple of lines of code).

This is A Good Thing.  The additional space is actually consumed by
Binary Fiber, which provides a beneficial cleansing affect each time
your application is run.  It's a kind of dental floss, composed of
Turing Machine Tape with embedded sponge-like cleansing agents.

	.B-).

--
Bob Kitzberger	        +1 (916) 274-3075	        rlk@rational.com
Rational Software Corp., 10565 Brunswick Rd. #11, Grass Valley, CA 95945