* my 2 cents on Ada
@ 1994-09-18 13:59 Arthur Marsh
From: Arthur Marsh @ 1994-09-18 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reading c.l.a. has been enjoyable for me in a strange way.
At least people aren't flaming me (-:. (I'd recommend P.J.
Plauger's Programming On Purpose II: Essays on Software
People, Prentice Hall 1993, ISBN 0-13-328105-1 for anyone
interested in dealing with software developers and
standards committees).

My investment in Ada has been limited to the Meridian Ada
for DOS 4.1 student package and Gehani's Ada, An Advanced
Introduction, 2nd Edition.

When the second example program wouldn't compile because of
the 64k segment limitation on declaring large arrays, and
I learned of the greater than A$1000 cost to upgrade to a
'386 version that supported the flat memory model, I lost
interest, and my brother-in-law took over it for his
computer science cousework.

One friend of mine, jdunn@ist.flinders.edu.au, with far more
programming expertise and persistence than me went on to
develop and release a shareware music compact disk
cataloging program in Meridian Ada for DOS 4.1.

Someone please let me know when GNAT binaries are available
for Unixware. That appears to be the only way I'll get to
learn Ada without crazy memory model restrictions.

--
Arthur Marsh, telephone +61-8-370-2365, fax +61-8-370-2133, +61-8-223-5082
     	      arthur@gateway.dircsa.org.au, arthur@cswamp.apana.org.au

* Re: my 2 cents on Ada
@ 1994-09-19  8:18 ` D Elson
From: D Elson @ 1994-09-19  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

arthur@gateway.dircsa.org.au (Arthur Marsh) writes:

>Someone please let me know when GNAT binaries are available
>for Unixware. That appears to be the only way I'll get to
>learn Ada without crazy memory model restrictions.

No it isn't.  Ditch Unixware and go with Linux.  The linux
port of GNAT is usually out a week or two after the Sparc
ports.

(shameless linux plug).

Del