* That funny “--” before ASIS options with ASIS applications
@ 2013-04-12 18:53 Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2013-04-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you ever wondered where that looking weird to me “--” before ASIS
options with ASIS applications come from, then here the answer: it comes
 from POSIX.

Reference:
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap12.html
“12.2 Utility Syntax Guidelines — Guideline 10” says:
> The first -- argument that is not an option-argumentshould be accepted
> as a delimiter indicating the endof options. Any following arguments
> should be treatedas operands, even if they begin with the '-' character.

That's finally not that weird as it seemed to me so far, and that's even
standard. ASIS options are just program operands instead of program
options.

* Re: That funny “--” before ASIS options with ASIS applications
@ 2013-04-12 21:17 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2013-04-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> writes:

> If you ever wondered where that looking weird to me "--" before ASIS
> options with ASIS applications come from, then here the answer: it
> comes from POSIX.

Which ASIS applications?

I would like it if e.g. gnatstub did behave like this: I'm trying to
build GCC 4.8.0 with the ASIS GPL 2012 now, and there are flags that I
would like to pass to Asis.Implementation.Initialize to make the darned
thing work at all; specifically, "-wv" would mean "don't try to do the
strict check on compiler/tool compatibility which results in a
constraint error if using the FSF tree".

Of course, it may be that GNAT GPL 2013 will remove this problem...

* Re: That funny “--” before ASIS options with ASIS applications
@ 2013-04-12 22:04 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2013-04-12 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, April 12, 2013 12:53:05 PM UTC-6, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) wrote:
> If you ever wondered where that looking weird to me “--” before ASIS
> options with ASIS applications come from, then here the answer: it comes
>  from POSIX.
>
> Reference:
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap12.html
>
> “12.2 Utility Syntax Guidelines — Guideline 10” says:
>
> > The first -- argument that is not an option-argument should be accepted
> > as a delimiter indicating the end of options. Any following arguments
> > should be treated as operands, even if they begin with the '-' character.
>
> That's finally not that weird as it seemed to me so far, and that's even
> standard. ASIS options are just program operands instead of program
> options.

Ah, *nix... corrupting everything it touches. {POSIX.1 "Core Services" incorporates Standard ANSI C, and is likely one reason that almost all low-level stuff [drivers for devices] is C, feeding back into itself and encouraging HW designers to a C-based mentality.}