From: Austin Obyrne <austin.obyrne@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Time Stamping Again.
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:09:52 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-09-14T14:09:52-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:58:04 PM UTC+1, Simon Wright wrote:
> Austin Obyrne <austin.obyrne@hotmail.com> writes: > GNAT 3.11p (981118) Copyright 1992-1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc. > > Compiling: > c:\docume~1\admini~1\mydocu~1\skewli~3\skewline_batch_encryption_mark_0.adb > (source file time stamp: 2012-09-14 08:16:36) > > > > This is a copy of the time stamp in my computer. I’m using this older > compiler and I’m working in Windows XP. > > Maybe this time stamp attribute is peculiar to AdaCore Technologies > compilers only? > > Seems a useful function to me that should be considered for all > versions of the compiler – maybe it does? – Anybody. > > The drill is this, > > I go to "RUN" 0n the editor tool bar => Compile to listing on the > drop-down menu that appears. This is ertainly present in GCC 4.7.0 & GNAT GPL 2012, I think it always has been. The command-line compiler flag is -gnatl.

Just in case it is of any interest to readers,

How this works.

The time stamp records the time that the source code was *last modified.

One can compile a program as often as you like without overwriting the time stamp i.e. by 'ordinary' compile or by 'compile to listing' and the recorded time stays put  - even if its years later. (in that case just clicking on 'Build' or 'Link' alone should do in the interim - not necessary to re-complie in other words).

But if new sourcecode is added and compiled the new time is recorded as at the new updated time stamp.

If you want to keep the old time on record just build the program amd run it at any time.  It doesn't do any harm to the recorded time however to re-compile before running a program but it just isn't necessary to do that.

There is a "compile once only" school of thought in this respect by at at least one expert that I know - build is enough after the initial compile unless new sorcecode is added.

Many thanks all - adacrypt