* New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-05 15:43 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-01-05 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

So now that 2014 is over and 2015 is started, a good time to promote Ada Advocacy for the new year!

So for 2015 my Ada advocacy plans are:

1. More releases of the Gnoga framework
2. Gnoga Doc - A documentation generator and library for parsing Ada source (needed for IDE)
3. A Gnoga based IDE for Ada
4. A Gnoga GUI GUI builder
5. To promote gcc/ada for Hobby and Professional use
6. To encourage (and write myself) more Ada "interfaces", open source unencumbered libraries to promote the use of Ada by individuals and businesses of all sizes
7. Try to give at least one workshop at some Ada conference or public ada forum.

I have a lot more in mind, but better I speak little and do a lot ;)

 Get excited, Get engineering, GetAdaNow.com :)

So, What are your plans for 2015?

David Botton

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-05 18:16 ` Shark8
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Shark8 @ 2015-01-05 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05-Jan-15 08:43, David Botton wrote:
> 2. Gnoga Doc - A documentation generator and library for parsing Ada source (needed for IDE)

Parsing can be done by OpenToken, which is a nice little parsing
library:  http://stephe-leake.org/ada/opentoken.html

> 5. To promote gcc/ada for Hobby and Professional use
> 6. To encourage (and write myself) more Ada "interfaces", open source unencumbered libraries
> to promote the use of Ada by individuals and businesses of all sizes
> 7. Try to give at least one workshop at some Ada conference or public ada forum.
> I have a lot more in mind, but better I speak little and do a lot ;)
>

> So, What are your plans for 2015?

I'm currently implementing a scripting-language with Ada.
I'm also considering reviving my Flash-player project.

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-05 18:49   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-01-05 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Parsing can be done by OpenToken, which is a nice little parsing
> library:  http://stephe-leake.org/ada/opentoken.html

Has anyone written a working Ada 2012 grammar for it?

At least for the moment my needs in Gnoga_Doc are simple, but as they expand, replacing my simple parser with something more complete would be a very good idea.

@ 2015-01-05 20:26     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2015-01-05 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 10:49:52 -0800 (PST), David Botton wrote:

>> Parsing can be done by OpenToken, which is a nice little parsing
>> library:  http://stephe-leake.org/ada/opentoken.html
>
> Has anyone written a working Ada 2012 grammar for it?

You don't need a grammar to do recursive descent parsing. It is quite
straightforward.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-05 22:56     ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2015-01-05 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:
>> Parsing can be done by OpenToken, which is a nice little parsing
>> library:  http://stephe-leake.org/ada/opentoken.html
>
> Has anyone written a working Ada 2012 grammar for it?
>
> At least for the moment my needs in Gnoga_Doc are simple, but as they
> expand, replacing my simple parser with something more complete would be a very good idea.

Look into Stephen Leake's work on the Wisi parser
which relies on OpenToken. It is distributed as part
of the new Ada mode for Emacs; file "ada-grammar.wy" is
a grammar for Ada 2012, made flexible in order to handle
incomplete text while editing.

(My own little recursive descent parser for Ada was made
for pretty printing Ada to HTML, TeX, Wiki markup, etc., but
is not Ada 2012. It looks at comments, too, to some extent.
Updates needed, theoretically.
http://home.arcor.de/bauhaus/Tools/ASnip )

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-05 23:29 ` Hubert
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hubert @ 2015-01-05 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 3. A Gnoga based IDE for Ada
> 4. A Gnoga GUI GUI builder
> 5. To promote gcc/ada for Hobby and Professional use

That's a great idea. I had that myself even but of course, I don't have
the capacity to make anything like that for real. But my idea was that
there should be an IDE as simple as Turbo Pascal was in DOS times. That
is still the IDE I am dreaming of when I had too much Afri Cola. It was
simple to use, no complicated configuration files, no project files to
be edited by hand, no project file syntax to understand, just click what
you wanted it to make and it did it.

Also, what's needed in my eyes is a hierarchy tree like Visual Studio or
Slick Edit have it. The way GPS does it with the files at the highest
level is counterproductive because yo have to remember in what file a
particular entity is.

Ad for me, I am currently working on a debug monitor system that allows
a program to print out lots of debug trace info so that the developer
can later view the info under different aspects in multiple windows. I'm
writing this for my main project, a client server game in C++ which has
become quite difficult to debug due to the many worker threads. The
monitor will be in Ada and the SDK in C and Ada

---

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-05 23:54   ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2015-01-05 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, January 5, 2015 10:16:15 AM UTC-8, Shark8 wrote:
> On 05-Jan-15 08:43, David Botton wrote:
> > 2. Gnoga Doc - A documentation generator and library for parsing Ada source (needed for IDE)
>
> Parsing can be done by OpenToken, which is a nice little parsing
> library:  http://stephe-leake.org/ada/opentoken.html

With respect to OpenToken, the history said current version: 5.0b. However, the source code still said 5.0a. In addition, I checked the package ada_lexer.ads. I did not see the Some_T defined for type Ada_Token. Stephen can correct me if I am missing some thing.

Anh Vo

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-06  1:05 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2015-01-06  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:

>  Get excited, Get engineering, GetAdaNow.com :)
>
> So, What are your plans for 2015?

Completing SDLAda and updating my website. Then to complete my GL binding
generator.

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-01-06  7:37 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-01-06  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:

> So, What are your plans for 2015?

To start with, release my gcc-4.9.1-arm-eabi-darwin13-bin build and
corresponding stm32f4-gnat-rts work.

The RTS is Ravenscar-ish: I haven't looked at interrupt handling yet,
ceiling protocol is to-do, and you have to kick tasks off by calling
Start_Tasking from the main program. Work in progress at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/stm32f4-gnat-rts/.

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-06 11:07     ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2015-01-06 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015 00:54:27 UTC+1 schrieb Anh Vo:
> > Parsing can be done by OpenToken, which is a nice little parsing
> > library:  http://stephe-leake.org/ada/opentoken.html
>
> With respect to OpenToken, the history said current version: 5.0b. However, the source code still said 5.0a. In addition, I checked the package ada_lexer.ads. I did not see the Some_T defined for type Ada_Token. Stephen can correct me if I am missing some thing.
>
> Anh Vo

I wrote this Ada lexer a long time ago. When Ada 2012 came out, I added "some" and sent it in, but somehow it got lost. I sent a remark and was told it will be added in the next version of OpenToken (whenever this will be).

You can add it yourself, just add it to the reserved words list like the others - only this change needed.

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-06 14:44   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2015-01-06 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
> David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:
>
>> So, What are your plans for 2015?
>
> To start with, release my gcc-4.9.1-arm-eabi-darwin13-bin build

Would that be ios?

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-01-06 19:59 ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2015-01-06 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-01-05 16:43, David Botton wrote:
> So now that 2014 is over and 2015 is started, a good time to promote Ada Advocacy for the new year!
>
> So for 2015 my Ada advocacy plans are:
>
> 1. More releases of the Gnoga framework
> 2. Gnoga Doc - A documentation generator and library for parsing Ada source (needed for IDE)
> 3. A Gnoga based IDE for Ada
> 4. A Gnoga GUI GUI builder

I'd really like 3 and 4 reversed.
A good GUI builder would be really nice.
And more needed that an IDE. It could be integrated in an IDE,
but stand-alone first would be very nice.

> So, What are your plans for 2015?

To bring Gnoga into my company.
I see it as really good for making UI's for
a warehouse system.

Having it working well for ios/android would then be nice.

--
Björn

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-06 20:04     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-01-06 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luke A. Guest <laguest@archeia.com> writes:

> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
>> David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:
>>
>>> So, What are your plans for 2015?
>>
>> To start with, release my gcc-4.9.1-arm-eabi-darwin13-bin build
>
> Would that be ios?

No, sorry; M4 only, no RTS.

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-06 20:23   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-01-06 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'd really like 3 and 4 reversed.

Since I see a GUI builder of worth being one that is Delphi like, sort of need both in parallel.

With Gnoga you can already use any HTML development tool as a GUI builder. Just add boot.js to the html from gnoga/js

Then either hand code the needed objects:

Some_Button.Attach_With_Parent (Window, ID => "anyid");

or use

Gnoga.Client.Bind_Page.Bind_Page (View).

and can then access them using Main_View.Element (Name => "anyid");

David Botton

> Having it working well for ios/android would then be nice.

It does already as a web app (tip layout gui using the Bootstrap plugin for a nice look and feel), the new release will have touch controls and I plan on a plugin for Apache Cordova (PhoneGAP) soon.

Until we have an iOS (or an Asm.JS) compiler you could still have a store compatible app for both platforms but the app still will require server access (which in your case likely needed anyways).

@ 2015-01-06 20:36     ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2015-01-06 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-01-06 21:23, David Botton wrote:
> With Gnoga you can already use any HTML development tool as a GUI builder. Just add boot.js to the html from gnoga/js
> Then either hand code the needed objects:
> Some_Button.Attach_With_Parent (Window, ID => "anyid");

Nice tip - Thanks

--
Björn

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-07 12:19   ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2015-01-07 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 20:59:08 +0100, Björn Lundin wrote:

> On 2015-01-05 16:43, David Botton wrote:
>> So now that 2014 is over and 2015 is started, a good time to promote
>> Ada Advocacy for the new year!
>>
>> So for 2015 my Ada advocacy plans are:
>>
>> 1. More releases of the Gnoga framework 2. Gnoga Doc - A documentation
>> generator and library for parsing Ada source (needed for IDE)
>> 3. A Gnoga based IDE for Ada 4. A Gnoga GUI GUI builder
>
> I'd really like 3 and 4 reversed.
> A good GUI builder would be really nice.
> And more needed that an IDE. It could be integrated in an IDE,
> but stand-alone first would be very nice.

Recent versions of GLADE (the gtkada GUI builder) don't actually generate
gtkada code. They (simplifying a bit) just generate an XML file
describing the window layout, and a matching gtkada module parses that xml
to generate the actual GUI when the application starts.

Would it be possible for Gnoga to read the same XML file, and build a GUI
generated by Glade-3?

- Brian

* Re: New Years 2015 Ada Advocacy Resolutions :)
@ 2015-01-07 12:46     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-01-07 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Would it be possible for Gnoga to read the same XML file, and build a GUI
> generated by Glade-3?

I am not familiar with it, but there is no reason something like that could not be written.

David Botton