* One united Ada policy for all Linux distributions?
@ 2010-05-17 10:29 Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-05-17 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> is it possible to have one united Ada policy for all Linux distributions?
>
> Linux Ada community is small, all people are known. Can't we use this as an
> advantage here?

I would love to see that happen but unfortunately the Ada
*distribution maintainer* community is even smaller than the Linux Ada
community. The current state, as I see it:

* several people on the GNU Ada project[1] work on SuSE, Mac OS X and
a couple others. Unfortunately their work is not part of the official
distributions they target, i.e. they are "outsiders".
* one person would like to emulate the Debian policy for Ada on
FreeBSD[2].
* one person would like to emulate the Debian policy for Ada on
AuroraUX[3].
* one person works on Gentoo. No recent news on comp.lang.ada however.
* one person works on Fedora and has made two packages.
* four maintainers plus a couple of occasional contributors are active
on Debian; there is a snowball effect as these maintainers pool
resources and build on the existing, solid foundation.
* several users such as yourself have recently switched to Debian
because of the better support for Ada. This adds to the snowball
effect as these users can contribute useful bug reports and
suggestions, as you just did.

[1] http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2009-November/057661.html
[3] http://forums.auroraux.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24