From: "Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding GNAT for mingw (32bit)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 11:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-06-28T11:19:40-07:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 6:13:14 AM UTC-5, Brian Drummond wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 04:01:18 -0700, Jere wrote:
>
> > So I recently ran into an issue using the FSF GNAT on 32bit mingw.
> > It ended up having a bug in GNAT.Serial_Communications, which was fixed
> > in later versions of GNAT found in 64 bit mingw.  Unfortunately I can't
> > upgrade to the 64bit version and get a later version of GNAT.
> > The bug fix was only a few lines, so I figured I could make the change
> > to g-sercom.adb in the adainclude directory and hopefully recompile
> > GNAT.  When I looked up instructions for this I found:
> >
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ugn/Rebuilding-the-GNAT-Run-Time-
> Library.html
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> In the event you can't find the correct answer, you can probably move
> forward by replacing g-sercom.ad[sb] with your own package derived from
> it, in your project and under your control.
>
> I'm sure someone will jump in with comments if there are license
> implications to this approach.

If g-sercom.ad[sb] were copied from FSF GNAT (64-bit mingw) to FSF GNAT (32-bit mingw), then same license.  No harm, no foul.

If g-sercom.ad[sb] were copied from GNAT GPL Community Edition to FSF GNAT (by anyone other than an official FSF maintainer as normative representative of FSF itself), then the GPLv3's Runtime Exception would disappear henceforth in all of everything downstream from that now-full-fledged-GPLv3ed copy of FSF GNAT.

[I am not a lawyer who has passed the bar in any jurisdiction.  These observations are merely for my novelty purposes only, not to be relied upon by you.]