* Compiler of ADA 95 for MAC OS
@ 1997-05-18  0:00 Moshe Vegh
From: Moshe Vegh @ 1997-05-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where can I download an ADA 95 compiler for MAC PPC system 7.5 and above?
Thanks for help

Moshe Vegh

* Re: Compiler of ADA 95 for MAC OS
@ 1997-05-20  0:00 ` dana
From: dana @ 1997-05-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bc63c8$90e0ec80$6a37e993@default>, "Moshe Vegh"
<moshevi@telem.openu.ac.il> wrote:

> Where can I download an ADA 95 compiler for MAC PPC system 7.5 and above?
> Thanks for help
>
> Moshe Vegh

Check out Tennon Interystems Code builder tool set.  It consists of as
striped down version of Tennon's BSD 4.3 UNIX on the Mac product, and damn
near EVERY gnu tool I know of, including gnat, g++, g77, emacs, kafee, an
X server, OpenStep, and a whole bunch of other stuff.  I can't get it to
cooperate with my FreePPP internet connection, or was it Netscape/Mozilla,
but other than that it has never locked up on me.

I used it previously to do benchmarking of Ada code on the PowerPC 603e
processor (PowerComputing PowerBase 180).  Apparently the compiler is not
yet very well optimized.  That yields a performance of just slightly
better than a pentium at similar clock speeds (assuming you can afford a
pentium as fast as the SLOWEST (180 MHz) Mac:-).

Compared to other U**X development environment like Linux, SunOS, or
LynxOS, I was mightily impressed by this $100 product.  What's even
cooler, is that you can order it from http://www.tenon.com/ or just
download some documentation to take a gander for free.  For $400 you get a
year of free support and upgrades, A commercial developer or school might
like that, but I cannot break it.  MS VC++ is more than that and the
professional or enterprise version much more than that with LOTS less
included cool stuff.  This is a great product fo someone trying to learn
Ada on their Mac.  It will even produce Mac executables!

This should be on a FAQ or Ada Home page (www.adahome.com, that's how I
learned about it.