* Re: Parallel
@ 2000-04-05  0:00   ` Jeff Carter
From: Jeff Carter @ 2000-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Stanbrough wrote:

> Kaklis Antonis wrote:
>
> > Could you please tell me how can I (if it is possible),
> > do parallel programming with Ada95?
> > Any tutorial or web-address related?
> > thank you in advance
> >
> > Antonis
>
> you can do MPI, or more easily, use the distributed annex.
>
> The only implementation of the distributed annex that i know of
> is ACT's Glade, which works with Gnat.

This seems an overly complicated response; Antonis probably wants to
know about tasks.

There are tutorials, a FAQ, and many useful links at

www.adapower.com

--
Jeff Carter
"You couldn't catch clap in a brothel, silly English K...niggets."

* Parallel
@ 2000-04-06  0:00 Kaklis Antonis
From: Kaklis Antonis @ 2000-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-04-06  0:00     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Kaklis Antonis wrote:
> >
> > > Could you please tell me how can I (if it is possible),
> > > do parallel programming with Ada95?
What kind of "parallel programming" is wanted?  Massively parallel
with thousands of CPUs?  Fine grained SIMD parallel?  Multitasking
on a single or a few CPUs (that could use Ada's tasking constructs)?
Networked CPUs that could use Ada's Appendix E "Distributed Systems"
constructs?  Networked CPUs that could use TCP/IP sockets, or
serial comm ports, that could Ada library packages available for
various OSes?  (My ISP dropped the initial post in this thread.)
> > > Any tutorial or web-address related?
  How about "Concurrency in Ada" ISBN 0 521 62911 X paperback.

* Re: Parallel
@ 2000-04-06  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dale-D55BAC.08172106042000@news.rmit.edu.au>,
  Dale Stanbrough <dale@cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote:
> Kaklis Antonis wrote:
>
> > Could you please tell me how can I (if it is possible),
> > do parallel programming with Ada95?
> > Any tutorial or web-address related?
> > thank you in advance
> >
> > Antonis
>
> you can do MPI, or more easily, use the distributed annex.
>
> The only implementation of the distributed annex that i know of
> is ACT's Glade, which works with Gnat.

On an SNP machine you can do it with tasking alone.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Parallel
@ 2000-04-06  0:00 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2000-04-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kaklis Antonis wrote:

> Could you please tell me how can I (if it is possible),
> do parallel programming with Ada95?
> Any tutorial or web-address related?
> thank you in advance
>
> Antonis

you can do MPI, or more easily, use the distributed annex.

The only implementation of the distributed annex that i know of
is ACT's Glade, which works with Gnat.

Dale

* Re: Parallel
@ 2000-04-07  0:00       ` Gisle S�lensminde
From: Gisle S�lensminde @ 2000-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <K77H4.419$Qy3.109931@news.pacbell.net>, tmoran@bix.com wrote:

>What kind of "parallel programming" is wanted?  Massively parallel
>with thousands of CPUs?  Fine grained SIMD parallel?  Multitasking
>on a single or a few CPUs (that could use Ada's tasking constructs)?

Multitasking do not neccesarily limit itself to a few processors.
At my university we have an 128-processor SGI/Cray origin machine
that can use multithreading for parallization, and there are
computers working that way with at least 2048 processors.
I have not personally tested with more than 4 processors, though.

But you are right, there are several ways to do parallel programming.

>Networked CPUs that could use Ada's Appendix E "Distributed Systems"
>constructs?  Networked CPUs that could use TCP/IP sockets, or
>serial comm ports, that could Ada library packages available for
>various OSes?  (My ISP dropped the initial post in this thread.)
>  How about "Concurrency in Ada" ISBN 0 521 62911 X paperback.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies