From: dale@cs.rmit.edu.au (Dale Stanbrough)
Subject: Re: Design Question: How Best To Structure Cross-Referencing Types In Ada 95
Date: 1999/01/26
Date: 1999-01-25T23:24:42+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote...

> For JGNAT, the version of GNAT that generates code for the
> JVM, we have found it important to deal with this problem
> for the purpose of translating existing Java specs. We have
> therefore implemented an extension, based on Tucker's "with
> type" suggestion the last time around this was discussed,
> and this extension will be available (controlled by a
> switch of course) in version 3.12 of GNAT.

I was wondering how you would get around this problem. I suppose
the important questions to ask are

*  Is this change integrated into your implementation of ASIS?

*  Is it likely that other compiler vendors will implement it
   (i presume you have talked to them about it)

*  When will gnat 3.12p be released ;-) (someone had to be first
   to ask!)

If we can get everyone to implement it, it would make the ugly hack
for CORBA (cleverly invented by John Volan if I remember correctly)
no longer necessary.

Dale