* "Text fields"
@ 1998-11-22  0:00 Josh Highley
From: Josh Highley @ 1998-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the experience and just for fun :) I'm writing something like a
point of sale program.  There's places to type the name, item,
description, etc.  I'm using screen.MoveCursor to go to each text area
to get information.  As is, I'm using get_immediate to get each
character of info and testing to see if it's ENTER, BACKSPACE, or to be
added to the info string.  This seems rather inefficient and tedious to
code.  I've also got a task running that puts the time in the lower
right hand corner of the screen.  Therefore, I have to continually
update the task on where to return the cursor to after it prints the
time.  Needless to say, moving the cursor around everywhere and testing
the input to see what should be done with it, is making things tedious
to code and the program is slow for not doing much.  So, finally, my
question is, is there a "standard" or accepted way to get information
from different parts of the screen, move between them, and also capture
ENTER and BACKSPACE in a manner other than what I'm doing?  Basically,
am I on the right track.  I'm writing the program for DOS.  I'm using
GNAT 3.10, AdaGIDE 6.18, and Win 95.

P.S. I installed AdaGIDE 6.21, but when I ran it the screen around the
toolbar buttons and the strip through the middle w/ cursor position,etc.
 was a dark gray like the background when no file is opened, instead of
a light gray like normal.  Anybody know what's causing this?  It's a
little distracting for some reason.

If you've read this far, I appreciate it, Thanks,

Josh Highley
joshhighley@hotmail.com

* Re: "Text fields"
@ 1998-11-22  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1998-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It looks the same on my machine. I believe that is the author's intended
look.

David Botton

>P.S. I installed AdaGIDE 6.21, but when I ran it the screen around the
>toolbar buttons and the strip through the middle w/ cursor position,etc.
> was a dark gray like the background when no file is opened, instead of
>a light gray like normal.  Anybody know what's causing this?  It's a
>little distracting for some reason.
>
>Josh Highley
>joshhighley@hotmail.com

* Re: "Text fields"
@ 1998-11-23  0:00 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1998-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Highley wrote:

> to code and the program is slow for not doing much.  So, finally, my
> question is, is there a "standard" or accepted way to get information
> from different parts of the screen, move between them, and also capture
> ENTER and BACKSPACE in a manner other than what I'm doing?  Basically,
> am I on the right track.  I'm writing the program for DOS.  I'm using
> GNAT 3.10, AdaGIDE 6.18, and Win 95.

i've got a couple of packages that work with Unix/Curses that do this sort
of stuff (allow for defining field types/positions/acceptable inputs,
navigation) that is available on my home page.

It shouldn't be too much trouble converting it to DOS.

See...

   http://goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au/~dale/software/index.html

Dale