* A well thought of language
@ 1998-10-21  0:00 Dr Amirez
From: Dr Amirez @ 1998-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

When do I get gEt_mOuSe_Xy(). Every computer I touch these days
has a mouse. If Ada provides gEt_CHar_ImMeDiate() then it should
have get_mOUse_XY(). Such a great language. C/C++ don't even assume
there is a keyboard.
Dr Amirez

* Re: A well thought of language
@ 1998-10-22  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <70ltmn$r39$1@jupiter.cs.uml.edu>,
  dramirez@cs.uml.edu (Dr Amirez) wrote:

> When do I get gEt_mOuSe_Xy(). Every computer I touch these days
> has a mouse. If Ada provides gEt_CHar_ImMeDiate() then it should
> have get_mOUse_XY(). Such a great language. C/C++ don't even assume

As soon as you write it! :-)

The vxWorks real-time platform I'm developing for doesn't support a mouse. Few
embedded platforms do either. Given the large amount of embedded work going on
in Ada, mouse support clearly is not appropriate for the core language.

A good GUI *annex* would have been a nifty idea. But I suspect it would have
delayed the Ada 95 standard quite a bit, and probably would have been even
less supported by vendors than the Distributed Systems annex. Plus it'd be
hopelessly obsolete within 10 years. (Anyone remember "Turtle Graphics"?)

--
T.E.D.

* Re: A well thought of language
@ 1998-10-22  0:00 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1998-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr Amirez wrote:

" When do I get gEt_mOuSe_Xy(). Every computer I touch these days
  has a mouse. If Ada provides gEt_CHar_ImMeDiate() then it should
  have get_mOUse_XY(). Such a great language. C/C++ don't even assume
  there is a keyboard.
  Dr Amirez"

I really think your time would be better spent using languages you do
like.

Dale

* Re: A well thought of language
@ 1998-10-22  0:00 ` Pascal MALAISE
From: Pascal MALAISE @ 1998-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr Amirez wrote:

> When do I get gEt_mOuSe_Xy()

Here you are (cut and paste from one of my packages):

  -- Button status
  type MOUSE_BUTTON_STATUS_LIST is (PRESSED, RELEASED);
  -- List of button
  type MOUSE_BUTTON_LIST is (LEFT, MIDDLE, RIGHT);
  -- Mouse status
  type MOUSE_EVENT_REC is record
    VALID : BOOLEAN;
    BUTTON : MOUSE_BUTTON_LIST;
    STATUS : MOUSE_BUTTON_STATUS_LIST;
    ROW : ROW_RANGE;
    COL : COL_RANGE;
  end record;

  -- Get a mouse event. If valid is FALSE, it means that a release
  -- has occured outside the screen, then only BUTTON and status
  -- are significant
  procedure GET_MOUSE_EVENT (MOUSE_EVENT : out MOUSE_EVENT_REC);

--
Pascal MALAISE
(priv) mailto:malaise@magic.fr