* DIANA
@ 2000-05-30  0:00 Antonio Dur�n Dom�nguez
From: Antonio Dur�n Dom�nguez @ 2000-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is still DIANA used in todays Ada95 compilers?

--
Antonio Dur�n

* Re: DIANA
@ 2000-06-01  0:00 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2000-06-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Antonio Dur�n Dom�nguez" <andudo@teleline.es> writes:

> Is still DIANA used in todays Ada95 compilers?

I don't know of any compiler built from scratch for Ada 95 that uses
DIANA.  There are some Ada 95 compilers that were built by upgrading Ada
83 compilers and that use a modified form of DIANA.

By the way, DIANA is not a very good design for a compiler intermediate
language, in my opinion.

By the way, ASIS meets many of the original goals of DIANA, using a
rather different approach.

- Bob

* Re: DIANA
@ 2000-06-01  0:00   ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2000-06-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com> writes:
[...]
> OCS has a compiler based on the old TeleSoft front end, and they had
> something approximating DIANA.

If you mean "high form", the intermediate language produced by the old
TeleSoft front end, I don't think it's a particularly close
approximation to DIANA.  It may have borrowed some ideas from it, but
it's basically a home-grown structure.  In particular, I think DIANA
is a lot more verbose (though I confess I'm not familiar with it).

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>

* Re: DIANA
@ 2000-06-01  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2000-06-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Antonio Dur�n Dom�nguez" wrote:

> Is still DIANA used in todays Ada95 compilers?

I presume Rational's APEX compiler still uses a variant of DIANA.
Also, Concurrent built an Ada 95 compiler using the old VADS front
end, and that used a variant of DIANA.  OCS has a compiler based
on the old TeleSoft front end, and they had something approximating
DIANA.

GNAT, and the AdaMagic-based compilers (Green Hills, Aonix, etc.)
do not use DIANA in any real sense, though we of course build
up at least some amount of abstract syntax tree and then annotate
it during overload resolution.

If you think of DIANA as simply an annotated abstract syntax tree for Ada,
then probably every Ada compiler uses it in some form.  If you think
of DIANA as a standard, then probably no Ada compiler uses it in
its "standard" form.  However, if you think of DIANA as a persistent, complete,
annotated abstract syntax tree used to represent the entire Ada
program library, then APEX, Concurrent, and OCS could be considered
DIANA users.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Commercial Division, AverStar (formerly Intermetrics)

* DIANA
@ 2008-12-18  5:46 patrick boulay
From: patrick boulay @ 2008-12-18  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I am looking for a reference on the DIANA so that i can understand its
definition, workings, layout, use etc. I have searched on the net
extensively and not found a down loadable definition, description of it.
Does anyone here know of a
public link where i can download any documents on DIANA?
Thanks
kind regards
patrick

* Re: DIANA
@ 2008-12-18  9:23 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2008-12-18  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

patrick boulay a �crit :
> Hi,
> I am looking for a reference on the DIANA so that i can understand its
> definition, workings, layout, use etc. I have searched on the net
> extensively and not found a down loadable definition, description of it.
> Does anyone here know of a
> public link where i can download any documents on DIANA?
> Thanks
> kind regards
> patrick

Diana was an attempt to standardize the intermediate tree of Ada
compilers, in order to ease the development of 3rd party tools. Some
compilers (Rational IIRC) still use Diana, but the goal is now achieved
by the ASIS interface.

What kind of application do you have in mind?

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: DIANA
@ 2008-12-18  9:37 ` Markus Schoepflin
From: Markus Schoepflin @ 2008-12-18  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

patrick boulay wrote:

> Hi,
> I am looking for a reference on the DIANA so that i can understand its
> definition, workings, layout, use etc. I have searched on the net
> extensively and not found a down loadable definition, description of it.
> Does anyone here know of a
> public link where i can download any documents on DIANA?

Not a downloadable reference, but may be you can get your hands on this
book in a library near you:

Ada Software Tools Interfaces: Workshop, Bath, July 13-15, 1983.
Proceedings (Lecture Notes in Computer Science) (v. 180) (Paperback)

(See
http://www.amazon.com/Ada-Software-Tools-Interfaces-Proceedings/dp/3540138781/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1229592865&sr=11-1)

HTH, Markus

* Re: DIANA
@ 2008-12-18 11:16   ` patrick boulay
From: patrick boulay @ 2008-12-18 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Pierre Rosen

Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
> patrick boulay a �crit :
>> Hi,
>> I am looking for a reference on the DIANA so that i can understand its
>> definition, workings, layout, use etc. I have searched on the net
>> extensively and not found a down loadable definition, description of it.
>> Does anyone here know of a
>> public link where i can download any documents on DIANA?
>> Thanks
>> kind regards
>> patrick
>
> Diana was an attempt to standardize the intermediate tree of Ada
> compilers, in order to ease the development of 3rd party tools. Some
> compilers (Rational IIRC) still use Diana, but the goal is now achieved
> by the ASIS interface.
>
> What kind of application do you have in mind?

PL/SQL reverse engineering

* Re: DIANA
@ 2008-12-18 12:29     ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2008-12-18 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

patrick boulay a �crit :
>> What kind of application do you have in mind?
>>
> PL/SQL reverse engineering
Although there is a clear filiation from Ada to PL/SQL, they are
different languages, and it is not possible to use Ada tools on PL/SQL.
I doubt also that PL/SQL uses Diana trees...

Of course, if you want to learn Diana just to see what a syntactic tree
looks like, that's fine.

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: DIANA
@ 2008-12-18 16:07     ` Ira Baxter
From: Ira Baxter @ 2008-12-18 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"patrick boulay" <boulayp@free.fr> wrote in message
> Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
> > patrick boulay a �crit :
> >> Hi,
> >> I am looking for a reference on the DIANA ...
> >> patrick
> >
> > Diana was an attempt to standardize the intermediate tree of Ada
> > compilers, ...
> >
> > What kind of application do you have in mind?
> >
> PL/SQL reverse engineering

DIANA simply won't work for that.  It is very specific to Ada.

If you want to work on PL/SQL, you need working parsers and ASTs for PL/SQL.

I think you can use ANTLR to parse and build trees, but after that, you're
completely
on your own.  Fair warning: I have no specific experience with ANTLR than
being a serious
student of the technology they use.
See www.antlr.org.

You can use our DMS to parse and build ASTs for PL/SQL.  DMS provides
all kinds of additional facilities, such as symbol table building, support
for extracting and building control and data flow graphs, iterative data
flow
equuation solvers, point-to analyzers, source-level pattern specificaitons,
rewrite rules written in source notation, and regeneration of compilable
text
from ASTs via prettyprinting.  DMS handles other langauges such
as C, C++, Java, COBOL, and well, Ada to some extent.
See the website, below.

--
Ira Baxter, CTO
www.semanticdesigns.com

* Re: DIANA
@ 2008-12-18 18:36       ` patrick boulay
From: patrick boulay @ 2008-12-18 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ira Baxter wrote:
> "patrick boulay" <boulayp@free.fr> wrote in message
>> Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:
>>> patrick boulay a �crit :
>>> Diana was an attempt to standardize the intermediate tree of Ada
>>> compilers, ...
>>>
>>> What kind of application do you have in mind?
>>>
>> PL/SQL reverse engineering
>
> DIANA simply won't work for that.  It is very specific to Ada.
>
> If you want to work on PL/SQL, you need working parsers and ASTs for PL/SQL.
>
> I think you can use ANTLR to parse and build trees, but after that, you're
> completely
> on your own.  Fair warning: I have no specific experience with ANTLR than
> being a serious
> student of the technology they use.
> See www.antlr.org.
>
> You can use our DMS to parse and build ASTs for PL/SQL.  DMS provides
> all kinds of additional facilities, such as symbol table building, support
> for extracting and building control and data flow graphs, iterative data
> flow
> equuation solvers, point-to analyzers, source-level pattern specificaitons,
> rewrite rules written in source notation, and regeneration of compilable
> text
> from ASTs via prettyprinting.  DMS handles other langauges such
> as C, C++, Java, COBOL, and well, Ada to some extent.
> See the website, below.

thank you for all these insights
Patrick