From: harryr@ssd.fsi.com (Harry Rockefeller)
Subject: Re: gdb 5.2.1 doesn't know Ada, gcc 3.2.1 does
Date: 2 Jan 2003 08:03:01 -0800
Date: 2003-01-02T16:03:01+00:00	[thread overview]

hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl (Waldek Hebisch) wrote in message news:<ausn5p$m8t$1@panorama.wcss.wroc.pl>...

> The question seem to be almost a frequently asked question but as
> long as I can see there is no really good answer (this may explain
> the silence). I hit the same problem (AFAIKS) -- gcc-3.x on Linux
> by default uses Dwarf-2 debugging format. It seems that Dwarf-2
> debugging does not work with gdb for Ada (and also Pascal). The
> good answer would be to implement the missing functionality (but
> we are talking about free software so the one who needs it should
> do the work...).
> There are two possible workarounds:
> -- use stabs debug format (-gstabs or -gstabs+ instead of -g)
> -- make gdb treat unknown language as C.

The -gstabs option supplied to gcc 3.2.1 works for me.  I'm happy now.
Here is blurb from the gdb info page:

     _Warning:_ GDB can only debug C++ code if you use the proper
     compiler.  Typically, C++ debugging depends on the use of
     additional debugging information in the symbol table, and thus
     requires special support.  In particular, if your compiler
     generates a.out, MIPS ECOFF, RS/6000 XCOFF, or ELF with stabs
     extensions to the symbol table, these facilities are all
     available.  (With GNU CC, you can use the `-gstabs' option to
     request stabs debugging extensions explicitly.)  Where the object
     code format is standard COFF or DWARF in ELF, on the other hand,
     most of the C++ support in GDB does _not_ work.

Thank you for your help.