From: harryr@ssd.fsi.com (Harry Rockefeller)
Subject: Re: gdb 5.2.1 doesn't know Ada, gcc 3.2.1 does
Date: 31 Dec 2002 06:54:54 -0800
Date: 2002-12-31T14:54:54+00:00	[thread overview]

harryr@ssd.fsi.com (Harry Rockefeller) wrote in message news:<d9a42677.0212281447.7d77da47@posting.google.com>...

I was wondering why there was no response.  I think I
misdiagnosed the problem and so will provide a bit more
detail too.

> I have a gentoo Linux system and applied the
> bugzilla patch to get Ada built into gcc 3.2.1

The problem appears to be here.  When I run gdb 5.2.1 on
the executable created I get an internal error -
"unimplemented function unk_lang_create_fundamental_type called"
when trying to set a breakpoint at a line in my Ada source.
show lang and info extensions also seemed to indicate that gdb
was not "Ada aware".

> but found out that my gdb doesn't understand
> the source language Ada.

This is not true.  When I compile my Ada program using the
NYU gcc 2.8.1 the gdb 5.2.1 works and allows me to set
breakpoints, etc.  show lang still gives "auto; currently c"
and info extensions doesn't show any gnat aware extensions,
but it works none the less.

An interesting side issue is that the gdb provided with the NYU
dist fails to execute; failing with libncurses.so.4 can't be found.

I'll still accept any help from readers of this newsgroup, but
I also will post in the Gentoo programming forum as well since
it appears the problem may be with their Ada patch for gcc 3.2.1.