* ANN: article on Ada language for audio applications
@ 2017-11-10 22:12 Gustavo Hoffmann
From: Gustavo Hoffmann @ 2017-11-10 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm just sharing an article on Ada language for audio applications that I've co-authored:

http://www.electronicdesign.com/embedded-revolution/assessing-ada-language-audio-applications

Thanks,

Gustavo Hoffmann.

* Re: ANN: article on Ada language for audio applications
@ 2017-11-15 20:37 ` Blady
From: Blady @ 2017-11-15 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Gustavo,

Very nice to read and documented text on an original subject concerning Ada on DSP.
Have you considered to go further to formal proof with SPARK?

Thanks, Pascal.

@ 2017-11-18  0:26 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-11-18  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's an excellent read -- thank you for posting it.

PS -- You wouldn't happen to be able to make the code publicly available, would you?

* Re: ANN: article on Ada language for audio applications
@ 2017-11-18 19:09   ` Gustavo Hoffmann
From: Gustavo Hoffmann @ 2017-11-18 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks!

> Have you considered to go further to formal proof with SPARK?

Yes, I have considered that. Unfortunately, due to time-constraints, I was not able to work on it. In general, formal proof of numerical algorithms is an interesting topic.

Gustavo.

* Re: ANN: article on Ada language for audio applications
@ 2017-11-18 19:14   ` Gustavo Hoffmann
From: Gustavo Hoffmann @ 2017-11-18 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PS -- You wouldn't happen to be able to make the code publicly available, would you?

Thanks for your interest!

The original source-code of the Layer-2 decoder is closed-source software. Therefore, I'm not allowed to publish the source-code of the ported implementation.

However, you can find the implementation of the biquad filter (which is completely unrelated to the Layer-2 decoder) in the article...

Gustavo.

* Re: ANN: article on Ada language for audio applications
@ 2017-11-20 17:52     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-11-20 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 12:14:36 PM UTC-7, Gustavo Hoffmann wrote:

> > PS -- You wouldn't happen to be able to make the code publicly available, would you?
>
> Thanks for your interest!

You're quite welcome!

> The original source-code of the Layer-2 decoder is closed-source software. Therefore, I'm not allowed to publish the source-code of the ported implementation.

That's somewhat disappointing, the description in the article made it sound like generics were taken advantage of in a good way and I was interested in seeing that in particular.

> However, you can find the implementation of the biquad filter (which is completely unrelated to the Layer-2 decoder) in the article...

I'll take another look at that.
Thank you for your reply.

* Re: ANN: article on Ada language for audio applications
@ 2017-12-04 20:31 ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2017-12-04 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 5:12:22 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Hoffmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just sharing an article on Ada language for audio applications that I've co-authored:
>
> http://www.electronicdesign.com/embedded-revolution/assessing-ada-language-audio-applications
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gustavo Hoffmann.

I really appreciated the article and I learned a lot from it. I really liked the detailed comparison with C and C++. Thx.