From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: GUI with Ada?
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 19:09:35 +0100
Date: 2009-12-19T19:09:35+01:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 07:19:34 -0800 (PST), Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> I agree but I was not talking about the respective merits of the
> Windows API.  I was talking about the ease of installation of the
> development environment (including the libraries) and ease of
> deployment on the target machines.  Pardon me the expression but
> Windows sucks big time in that department.

Yes, recent development with manifest files for DLLs is a sheer disaster.

>> In both cases I didn't change anything in the GtkAda 2.14 itself, just
>> recompiled it.
>
> That's my point - Debian users don't have to recompile GtkAda at
> all :)

Actually, it would be sufficient to install the sources into the GNAT
directory tree and then let them compile on demand from the user project.
The relocatable version of GtkAda does not work under Windows anyway, and
there is not that many GtkAda-based applications to worry about making it
shared.

> Oh, and another benefit of Debian is the public bug database;
> AdaCore's bug database is secret even for GNAT GPL users.  The public
> mailing list does not count as a database :)

Well, if AdaCore does not pay much attention to that database, it won't
help. This is another story, but we need a widget library of our own (as a
part of a larger Ada platform abstraction layer).

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov