* GtkAda & OpenGl on linux
@ 2005-05-28 16:25 John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2005-05-28 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Using a freshly prepared gcc-3.4.3 on Yellow Dog Linux
<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/>, I have a problem using GtkAda & Open GL on
an nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400.

I am able to build GtkAda 2.4.x with GL support
<http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/>. The test program, testgtk, works
correctly, but the OpenGL example dies horribly:

The program 'testgtk' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
  (Details: serial 704 error_code 8 request_code 152 minor_code 5)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on gdk_x_error().)

Compiling with -g and running under gdb with the --sync arg gave the same
result. The (in)famous glxgears works fine at about 100 frames/sec; glxinfo
reports "direct rendering: No". A simple GLUT example written in C doesn't
crash, but the window comes up empty.

When this happens on other platforms (e.g. RedHat, x86), rebuilding the nvidia
driver fixes the problem. Sadly, nVidia doesn't support PowerPC. Assuming it
might help, what might be the corresponding thing to do on YDL?

Any insights appreciated; sorry this a a bit off topic.

--
John
jmatthews at wright dot edu

* Re: GtkAda & OpenGl on linux
@ 2005-05-28 23:24 ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2005-05-28 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 May 2005, "John B. Matthews" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Compiling with -g and running under gdb with the --sync arg gave the
> same result. The (in)famous glxgears works fine at about 100
> frames/sec; glxinfo reports "direct rendering: No".

Look for the log for your X startup, possibly in /var/log.  That won't
tell you how to fix the problem, but it should narrow down where things
are going wrong.

> Any insights appreciated; sorry this a a bit off topic.

It certainly doesn't sound like an Ada problem.  Your best bet is
probably to find the errors in your X log and post them to a forum
dedicated to Yellow Dog.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas