* lol the ada book site wants $60 what  ajip
@ 2016-09-23  3:45 endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-09-23  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

get the non free shit outa here

* Re: lol the ada book site wants $60 what  ajip
@ 2016-09-23  4:24 ` Shark8
       [not found]   ` <13543b11-b075-413e-8fdf-57aa3ff00c0e@googlegroups.com>
From: Shark8 @ 2016-09-23  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 9:45:44 PM UTC-6, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> get the non free shit outa here

There's a perfectly good place for non-free products, to include books... or do you mean to implicitly assert that an author should not be paid?

@ 2016-09-24 13:37     ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2016-09-24 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 00:28:31 -0700 (PDT), polymorph self
<jackvanc3@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>If only we has more capitalism

	We do have capitalism -- that's why Ada (and most other text/reference
books) cost so much. The publishers price them to make up the initial cost
of printing -- so a book that sells only 1000 copies will probably cost
much more than a similar book that sells 10000 copies -- since the up-front
cost to edit/typeset both books are the same (author royalties probably
don't matter, unless the author was given a guaranteed minimum amount).
If it costs $50000 to set up (say $25000 for an editor making $75000/year,
and another $25000 for layout/typesetting and setting up the press/binder
system, plus $10 for paper per book... The 1000 copies book will need to be
sold for over $60/copy just to break even; the 10000 copies book can sell
for just over $15/copy and make the same profit.

	The GPL has never been about "no-cost" products; it's about
distribution (if you use this product to make something commercially
viable, we insist you provide the source code to others so they may extend
and modify it to make something else viable)

@ 2016-09-25 10:01     ` darkestkhan
From: darkestkhan @ 2016-09-25 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 7:28:35 AM UTC, polymorph self wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 12:24:02 AM UTC-4, Shark8 wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 9:45:44 PM UTC-6, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > get the non free shit outa here
> >
> > There's a perfectly good place for non-free products, to include books... or do you mean to implicitly assert that an author should not be paid?
>
> Well is ADA free software or not?
> Freebsd somehow has a free manual.....
>
> I never state a should, people should not listen to me telling them what to do.
>
> If only we has more capitalism

Maybe you should go back to school and learn english again... [ok, I just got triggered]. First of all, this is Ada, not ADA (Americans With Disabilieties Act, Australian Dental Association, or whetevr else you men by ADA). In addition, Ada Reference Manual is freely available. There is one more thing - programming languages are not free or whatever. Their implementations might be free or not.

Also, there is Ada compiler that is part of gcc suite - gnat. AFAIK gcc is under gpl which is free software. And you could freaking do a google search instead of triggering me [and likely others]