From: Adam Beneschan <adambeneschan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Ada Lovelace
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:52:17 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2014-12-10T12:52:17-08:00	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:55:26 AM UTC-8, Peter Chapin wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2014, Austin Obyrne wrote:
>
> >> P.S. Of course the Analytical Engine simulation should be written in
> >> Ada!
> >
> > Off the top of my head I would envisage a model of say 'n' nested loops
> > that simulate the gear ratios of the actual engine.  I did view the
> > engine proper (I think it may have been the original??)at the South
> > Kensington Science Museum in London - about 20 years ago.
>
> I think that was the Difference Engine, not the Analytical Engine.

The Science Museum in London has both a "Trial model of a part" of the  Analytical Engine, and a Difference Engine built from Babbage's original drawings between 1989-1991.  I believe the Difference Engine actually worked, although it is no longer operated.  Another Difference Engine is at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California, and they do demonstrate it working--I had the opportunity to see it this past summer.  Worth checking out if you're in the area.

See also http://www.fourmilab.ch/babbage/hpb1910.html.  H.P. Babbage was Charles' youngest son.

                              -- Adam