* finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-10 11:49 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2011-08-10 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

My trusty Palm is finally dying, so I'm switching to an Android. Since
there is an Ada compiler for JVM, I'd like to write an app for it (none
of the music players does _exactly_ what I want :).

That is the last mention of Ada in this post; I'm hoping there are
some Eclipse users here who can point me to a better place to ask this
sort of thing; this group tends to be more responsive than the others
I've found.

I'm a die hard Emacs user, but since the Android tutorials use Eclipse,
I decided to give it a try. But I'd like to know what's going on under
the hood, so I'd like to find the code that is bound to all of those
fancy buttons.

In Emacs, to find the code bound to a key or menu, I just use C-h k;
that shows the command bound to the key, the help for the command, and
gives a link to the source code for the command. One more click, and I'm
reading code.

Is there an equivalent in Eclipse? I've looked in Eclipse help, and done
a couple web searches, but haven't found it yet. Eclipse help will put
up a dynamic list of current key bindings, but it doesn't give a
reference to the source code.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-10 12:49 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2011-08-10 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:49:29 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:

> My trusty Palm is finally dying, so I'm switching to an Android. Since
> there is an Ada compiler for JVM,

Is it Ada?

Last time I asked AdaCore they had no intention to make a full Ada compiler
out of it.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-10 13:00   ` Marc C
From: Marc C @ 2011-08-10 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 10, 7:49 am, "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail...@dmitry-kazakov.de>
wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:49:29 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
> > My trusty Palm is finally dying, so I'm switching to an Android. Since
> > there is an Ada compiler for JVM,
>
> Is it Ada?
>
> Last time I asked AdaCore they had no intention to make a full Ada compiler
> out of it.

I think he's referring to the DragonLace (http://www.dragonlace.net)
Android cross-compiler project, but I don't think that's being
publicly distributed yet.

Marc A. Criley

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-11  4:35   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2011-08-11  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:49:29 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> My trusty Palm is finally dying, so I'm switching to an Android. Since
>> there is an Ada compiler for JVM,
>
> Is it Ada?

http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2?config=jvm-windows&version=2011#

The README.txt doesn't say anything about less than full Ada; it is the
same README.txt that is on the x86-windows version.

So far, it does text_io "Hello World"; I have not tried translating the
Android Hello World tutorial to Ada yet.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-11  4:38     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2011-08-11  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc C <mc.provisional@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 10, 7:49 am, "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail...@dmitry-kazakov.de>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:49:29 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> > My trusty Palm is finally dying, so I'm switching to an Android. Since
>> > there is an Ada compiler for JVM,
>>
>> Is it Ada?
>>
>> Last time I asked AdaCore they had no intention to make a full Ada compiler
>> out of it.
>
> I think he's referring to the DragonLace (http://www.dragonlace.net)
> Android cross-compiler project,

No, I wasn't. Those are native ARM code compilers; I said JVM.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-11  7:58     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2011-08-11  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:35:48 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:

> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:49:29 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>>
>>> My trusty Palm is finally dying, so I'm switching to an Android. Since
>>> there is an Ada compiler for JVM,
>>
>> Is it Ada?
>
> http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2?config=jvm-windows&version=2011#
>
> The README.txt doesn't say anything about less than full Ada; it is the
> same README.txt that is on the x86-windows version.
>
> So far, it does text_io "Hello World"; I have not tried translating the
> Android Hello World tutorial to Ada yet.

Interesting. What about tasks, tagged types, Unchecked_Deallocation?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-12  5:09       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2011-08-12  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:35:48 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:

>>> Is it Ada?
>>
>> http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2?config=jvm-windows&version=2011#
>>
>> The README.txt doesn't say anything about less than full Ada; it is the
>> same README.txt that is on the x86-windows version.
>>
>> So far, it does text_io "Hello World"; I have not tried translating the
>> Android Hello World tutorial to Ada yet.
>
> Interesting. What about tasks, tagged types, Unchecked_Deallocation?

Not sure why those would be an issue. We did Ada tasks on MS-DOS (no support
for anything there). Nothing hard about doing tagged types, either. It's
surely possible to treat the JVM as just another processor. [Interfacing
might be interesting, but you didn't ask about that!] Unchecked_Deallocation
doesn't have to do anything other than the finalization and nulling of the
pointer, and on a garbage-collected target machine, doing nothing probably
is appropriate.

So it's surely possible. (Intemetrics used to have a JVM Ada compiler, I
think it was validated, so it was complete Ada 95.)

                                 Randy.

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-12  8:35         ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2011-08-12  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:09:19 -0500, Randy Brukardt wrote:

> It's surely possible to treat the JVM as just another processor.

This is exactly the attitude I expect. I want to be able to compile
programs without modifications. There are many interesting targets with JVM
(on top of Windows CE etc), running on some obscure microprocessor, for
which there is no chance to get a native Ada compiler.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-12  8:55         ` Nomen Nescio
From: Nomen Nescio @ 2011-08-12  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's a copy of jgnat available on some mirrors somewhere, from about the
time of gnat 3.15p. I don't know how complete it is though.

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-12  9:10           ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2011-08-12  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nomen Nescio

Le 12/08/2011 10:55, Nomen Nescio a écrit :
> There's a copy of jgnat available on some mirrors somewhere, from about the
> time of gnat 3.15p. I don't know how complete it is though.

Why this old version?

GNAT GPL 2011 come with a version for the JVM.

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-12 12:29             ` Britt
From: Britt @ 2011-08-12 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 12, 4:10 am, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> Le 12/08/2011 10:55, Nomen Nescio a écrit :
>
> > There's a copy of jgnat available on some mirrors somewhere, from about the
> > time of gnat 3.15p. I don't know how complete it is though.
>
> Why this old version?
>
> GNAT GPL 2011 come with a version for the JVM.

And the User's Guide is here:
http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gnatvm-docs/jgnat_ug.html
http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gnatvm-docs/jgnat_ug.pdf

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-12 13:04               ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2011-08-12 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 05:29:56 -0700 (PDT), Britt wrote:

> On Aug 12, 4:10�am, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:

>> Why this old version?
>>
>> GNAT GPL 2011 come with a version for the JVM.
>>
> And the User's Guide is here:
> http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gnatvm-docs/jgnat_ug.html
> http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gnatvm-docs/jgnat_ug.pdf

The list of limitations (Section 11) is rather long. It is difficult to
estimate the consequences. Some examples:

- "Limited support for controlled types"
a bit vague, can mean anything.

- "Null arrays with multiple dimensions"
That could be non-starter for LA numerical libraries.

- "Representation attributes" + "Unchecked_Conversion between different non
scalar types"
This could mean that typical implementation of I/O protocol would not work

- "User-defined Storage_Pools"
This eliminates certain implementation of container libraries.

- "Wide_String and Wide_Wide_String"
I would not shed tears about that, but some could. Anyway what was the
problem with them?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: finding code in Eclipse
@ 2011-08-13  7:58                 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2011-08-13  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 05:29:56 -0700 (PDT), Britt wrote:
>
>> On Aug 12, 4:10 am, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
>
>>> Why this old version?
>>>
>>> GNAT GPL 2011 come with a version for the JVM.
>>>
>> And the User's Guide is here:
>> http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gnatvm-docs/jgnat_ug.html
>> http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gnatvm-docs/jgnat_ug.pdf

> The list of limitations (Section 11) is rather long. It is difficult to
> estimate the consequences. Some examples:
>
> - "Limited support for controlled types"
> a bit vague, can mean anything.
>
> - "Null arrays with multiple dimensions"
> That could be non-starter for LA numerical libraries.
>
> - "Representation attributes" + "Unchecked_Conversion between different non
> scalar types"
> This could mean that typical implementation of I/O protocol would not work
>
> - "User-defined Storage_Pools"
> This eliminates certain implementation of container libraries.
>
> - "Wide_String and Wide_Wide_String"
> I would not shed tears about that, but some could. Anyway what was the
> problem with them?

Interesting.

I would guess that they want to use the jvm types as much as possible,
to make it easier to generate Ada bindings to existing Java libraries
(using the jvm2ada tool). I'm not clear how that leads to these
restrictions. But see section 8.4: "Java does not have multidimensional
arrays". That might explain why you can't have null arrays with multiple dimensions.

I certainly want to be able to generate bindings to all the Android
libraries!

--
-- Stephe