* Aflex and ASCII-8 characters
@ 2002-01-18  0:53 Lionel Najman
From: Lionel Najman @ 2002-01-18  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm developping an Ada scanner with Aflex and Ayacc and I need to
parse ASCII-8 characters. I know that Aflex is limited to ASCII-7 but
I wanted to know if someone has modified Aflex source so as to parse
ASCII-8 characters. It seems that in 1995
(http://groups.google.com/groups?q=aflex+AND+ascii&hl=en&selm=3v54mf$2224@info4.rus.uni-stuttgart.de&rnum=1),
someone called Ralph Paul successed but of course today his mail is
unreachable ...

Thanks for your help,

Lionel Najman

* Re: Aflex and ASCII-8 characters
@ 2002-01-18  7:15 ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2002-01-18  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Jan 2002 16:53:23 -0800, Lionel Najman <najman@gla.ecoledoc.lip6.fr> wrote:
> I'm developping an Ada scanner with Aflex and Ayacc and I need to
> parse ASCII-8 characters.

ASCII-8? What's that?

Seriously, there are dozens of 8-bit codes with ASCII as a proper subset
in current use. Referring to any one of them as 8-bit ASCII is confusing
and inaccurate.

> I know that Aflex is limited to ASCII-7 but
> I wanted to know if someone has modified Aflex source so as to parse
> ASCII-8 characters.

It shouldn't be hard to do, provided Aflex doesn't munge data into the
8th bit. Ada95 provides more support for 8-bit characters than Ada83, at
least in theory. Or you could try OpenToken, by Ted Dennison, which
should support 8-bit characters.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,

* Re: Aflex and ASCII-8 characters
@ 2002-01-18 17:41 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-01-18 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

najman@gla.ecoledoc.lip6.fr (Lionel Najman) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developping an Ada scanner with Aflex and Ayacc and I need to
> parse ASCII-8 characters. I know that Aflex is limited to ASCII-7 but
> I wanted to know if someone has modified Aflex source so as to parse
> ASCII-8 characters. It seems that in 1995
> (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=aflex+AND+ascii&hl=en&selm=3v54mf$2224@info4.rus.uni-stuttgart.de&rnum=1),
> someone called Ralph Paul successed but of course today his mail is
> unreachable ...

There is one version available on my homepage. It is a port to GNAT and can be
used with ASCII-8 characters.

  Direct link (the Web pages are in french):

        http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Aflex and ASCII-8 characters
       [not found] <mailman.1011343622.28135.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
@ 2002-01-18 18:42 ` Lionel Najman
From: Lionel Najman @ 2002-01-18 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks it works !!
I've even found the differences with my version so as to patch it

Accents are no more a problem... :))