* OpenBSD 3.5 & GNAT
@ 2004-06-03 10:52 Roman V. Isaev
From: Roman V. Isaev @ 2004-06-03 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to install GNAT on new OpenBSD systems 3.4 and 3.5?
They switched to ELF and they don't have GNAT package anymore. I tried
to install old package, enabled a.out, but when I try to run gnatmake
I get an error:

Bad magic: ld.so

Apparently ld.so is an ELF binary too. Any clues? I googled for
answers but did not find anything...

* Re: OpenBSD 3.5 & GNAT
@ 2004-06-03 11:20 ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-06-03 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Roman V. Isaev" <rm@gunlab.com.ru> wrote in message
> Is there any way to install GNAT on new OpenBSD systems 3.4 and 3.5?
> They switched to ELF and they don't have GNAT package anymore. I tried
> to install old package, enabled a.out, but when I try to run gnatmake
> I get an error:
>
> Bad magic: ld.so
>
> Apparently ld.so is an ELF binary too. Any clues? I googled for
> answers but did not find anything...

Can you find a complete gcc 3.4 release binary for OpenBSD and use that?

If not, you may need to do a canadian cross from another system..probably
too painful.

* Re: OpenBSD 3.5 & GNAT
@ 2004-06-03 23:12   ` Roman V. Isaev
From: Roman V. Isaev @ 2004-06-03 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Is there any way to install GNAT on new OpenBSD systems 3.4 and 3.5?
> > They switched to ELF and they don't have GNAT package anymore. I tried
> > to install old package, enabled a.out, but when I try to run gnatmake
> > I get an error:
> > Bad magic: ld.so
> > Apparently ld.so is an ELF binary too. Any clues? I googled for
> > answers but did not find anything...
> Can you find a complete gcc 3.4 release binary for OpenBSD and use that?

Can't find so far. I wonder is it possible to run old GNAT with a.out
emulation, or they made it impossible?

> If not, you may need to do a canadian cross from another system..probably
> too painful.

:( Why GNAT disappeared from OpenBSD? It was there in 3.3.

* Re: OpenBSD 3.5 & GNAT
@ 2004-06-04  6:15     ` Craig Carey
From: Craig Carey @ 2004-06-04  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 Jun 2004 16:12:47 -0700, rm@gunlab.com.ru (Roman V. Isaev) wrote:
>> > Bad magic: ld.so
>:( Why GNAT disappeared from OpenBSD? It was there in 3.3.

Does the Linux emulator not run in OpenBSD ?. I suppose so.

GNAT Ada can be compiled in Linux running inside of a VMware (Russia uses
the www.damn.to software to make it run longer). An easy thing to do
is to give up on installing GNAT in OpenBSD (unless their Linux emulator
has bugs).

Mr M. Espie has written a lot of messages at the gcc mailing list with
some hints on getting Ada compiled in OpenBSD (I sent quoted messages
privately). The messages seemed rather unhelpful.

Problems with the debugger can be major: in FreeBSD 4, blocking sockets
blocked tasks.

I tried to fix that by compiling up a native FreeBSD GNAT cross-compiler
that generated Linux ELF excutables but the exectuables created were
a bit corrupt:
   http://www.ijs.co.nz/code/ada95-freebsd-to-linux-cross-compiler.txt

--

PS. MinGW now installs out of the box. The GPS debugger was not printing
out the values of variables. It looks like Germans need to keep buying

I find my FreeBSD 5 system is auto-erasing. The absence ofthat was a top
reason for minimizing use of Linux.  The popularity of FreeBSD is quickly
rising apparently according to their download stats.

Craig Carey

* Re: OpenBSD 3.5 & GNAT
@ 2004-06-04 10:43       ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2004-06-04 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz> wrote:

> I find my FreeBSD 5 system is auto-erasing.

Is what? It deletes itself?

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Wie "Tippfehler !?" Mein Modem hat doch Fehlerkorrektur...

* Re: OpenBSD 3.5 & GNAT
@ 2004-06-04 23:51         ` Craig Carey
From: Craig Carey @ 2004-06-04 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Jun 2004 10:43:17 GMT, Adrian Knoth <adi@thur.de> wrote:

>Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> I find my FreeBSD 5 system is auto-erasing.
>
>Is what? It deletes itself?

Actually, all no data is lost since again FreeBSD got a corrupted BSD
disklabel. I suppose it could have been this FreeBSD 5.1 problem that
I informed the OpenBSD bugs list about.

>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:24:35 +1300
>To: bugs@openbsd.org
>From: Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
>Subject: Re: fsck damages FreeBSD 5 disklabels ?
>
>At 2003-08-13 23:39 -0600 Wednesday, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>>Hundreds of Unix operating systems ship with an fsck that will
>> not check that field.

However justifiying OpenBSD when trashing FreeBSD was mismatching
with the facts. In fact FreeBSD 5.1 was deleting its own filesystem.

>It turned out that OpenBSD was innocent. [...]
>The faulty binaries appeared in about 5 June 2003. Still they are
>not updated:
>  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.1-RELEASE/
>(2) The FreeBSD 5.1 "bsdlabel" program can't read the disklabels
> correctly.
>Installing an v5.1 emergency repair system is a way to cause
>(seeming) destruction of the other FreeBSD UFS2 system.
>
>Buildworld removes the problem
  [if it completes]

* Re: OpenBSD 3.5 & GNAT
@ 2004-06-05 22:42     ` Roman V. Isaev
From: Roman V. Isaev @ 2004-06-05 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

rm@gunlab.com.ru (Roman V. Isaev) wrote in message news:<d3ba4d4c.0406031512.606a4217@posting.google.com>...
> > > Is there any way to install GNAT on new OpenBSD systems 3.4 and 3.5?
> > > They switched to ELF and they don't have GNAT package anymore. I tried
> > > to install old package, enabled a.out, but when I try to run gnatmake
> > > I get an error:
> > > Bad magic: ld.so
> > > Apparently ld.so is an ELF binary too. Any clues? I googled for
> > > answers but did not find anything...
> > Can you find a complete gcc 3.4 release binary for OpenBSD and use that?
> Can't find so far. I wonder is it possible to run old GNAT with a.out
> emulation, or they made it impossible?

Ugh. I found a way to run GNAT from OpenBSD 3.3 on OpenBSD 3.4. I had
to make /emul/a.out directory and untar base33.tgz and comp33.tgz
there, all details in there in compat_aout. GNAT did compile simple
Ada programs, but when I tried to compile AWS it complained a lot
about pragmas and when I finally got library it refused to link. I get
a bunch of errors about unresolved _inflate and _deflate references,
no matter how much -lz flags I gave...

Anyway, GNAT from OpenBSD 3.3 produces a.out binaries. I downloaded
GCC 3.4 and tried to compile it. When I compile it with default GCC
from OpenBSD 3.4 I get normal C compiler, but no Ada compiler at all.
When I try to compile GCC 3.4 with GCC 3.2.2 from previous OpenBSD
release it DOES find Ada I get a big bunch of errors like this:

/tmp//ccV19391.s:11387: Error: cannot represent relocation type
BFD_RELOC_386_PLT32
/tmp//ccV19391.s:11391: Error: cannot represent relocation type
BFD_RELOC_386_PLT32
/tmp//ccV19391.s:11418: Error: cannot represent relocation type
BFD_RELOC_386_GOTPC
/tmp//ccV19391.s:11461: Error: cannot represent relocation type
BFD_RELOC_386_PLT32
/tmp//ccV19391.s:11469: Error: cannot represent relocation type
BFD_RELOC_386_PLT32
/tmp//ccV19391.s:11477: Error: cannot represent relocation type
BFD_RELOC_386_PLT32
gmake[1]: *** [regex.o] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-3.4.0/libiberty'
gmake: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2

Any clues? May be I did not install something important? By the way,
is it possible to compile part of GCC 3.4 with system GCC and Ada part
with 3.2.2?