From: koburtch@gmail.com
Subject: Re: ANN: Sparforte 1.5.1
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 18:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-10-26T18:06:57-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, October 24, 2014 9:39:57 AM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> Ken, is there a way to embed sparforte in applications? and if so, is that possible on Windows and Mac as well?
>
> David Botton

Thanks for the questions.

My "to do" list includes a shared library so other applications can call it for scripting purposes.  Currently, it's a standalone program so it's callable as such (e.g. Linux system() / exec() / environment variables).  I dropped the priority on that to strengthen the core language first.

As far as ports go, Windows is probably best tackled with cygwin.  OS/X should be relatively painless: take the "bush_xxx" and update it accordingly.  I have an old ppc Mac with OS/X and I was going to try a port but, you know, I could spend a lifetime adding features.  I remember an old prof who said that anyone who wrote a language had too much free time on his hands.

I'll make a note to revisit the shared library idea before the next release.  I want to compare how Lua and JNI do it first.

How important is a shared library?  Anyone else want me prioritize one?

Regards,
Ken B.