From: volkert@nivoba.de (Volkert)
Subject: Re: Ada and Design By Contract
Date: 24 Mar 2003 09:40:57 -0800
Date: 2003-03-24T17:40:57+00:00	[thread overview]

> To keept this thread under some sort of control, I suggest we agree a
> clear distinction between contracts enforced at run time (by the
> evaluation of checks and, typically, the raising of exceptions if the
> contract is vilated) and contracts enforced statically, prior to
> execuation (typically using proof technology).
I know Spark and i like it, but my question is more in the direction
of Eiffel-like Assertion mechanisms (runtime monitoring/checking).

> There have been some proposals for run-time assertions in Ada 0Y
> although many participants in the review process have found them
> wanting.
Can you/someone give me a pointer to it ...i found only
a paper from Ehud Lamm from the last Ada-Europe Meeting.

> The big problem here is that the really interesting
> contractual claims may involve items not visible at the point where the
> contract is being checked (unless the code is rewritten with reduced
> abstraction to make them visible).
I see not the problem. Can you give a short example.

Volkert