From: Olivier Henley <olivier.henley@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: GNATCOLL JSON Parsing
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 12:48:57 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2018-12-03T12:48:57-08:00	[thread overview]

>> I was talking about repositories with some doc.
>> "amoc" -> no comment, except for copyright header

Ok, we are not on the same page here.
The Amoc readme is super clear, no need for orthodox doc!

- Amoc has a screenshot, what you see is what you get.
- Amoc has build procedure using gprbuild. The exact command line to build!
- Amoc states the prerequisites, win32 and a Gnat compiler.
- Amoc states a usage. "Launch the exe from the build". Cannot be clearer.
- Amoc acknowlegde others work as a lead for further study.

So you refer the ARM for people struggling with strings, but my repo is open to 'interpretation'... you really want to cover this ground. Please.

>> "aglw-demos" -> no comment either.

You know that the github readmes as being doc is a thing these days..? Now you know. Everything is there in the readme of Aglw-demos... for a WIP. The src is 3 files, and the demo goal is exactly to offer a 'complete real case usage' of the aglw lib API.

I never said I should completely hold the hand of a newbie. You refer to obvious things, underline the tricky parts, you handout some meaningful use case, in real code, and a normal person should be fine.

I do not believe in 90's doc, a la MySQL, where you have to read dozens and dozens of official doc to make a simple query or just to install it. No, what is proper doc these days, is hands-on toy demo. You build it, inspect a couple of files, you get the picture, c&p the basic code and expand from that. You can keep rolling.

Eg, gprbuild is awesome, but the doc is somewhat too much. I learn more from inspecting others use of it that from the official doc.

Do you see where I go? That was the point of the OP, I think, he just needed an 'almost' complete real use case, showed off. He would have picked from there not problem.

You want a good example, check Imgui (https://github.com/ocornut/imgui)

>> I did check before I commented...

To me, not acknowledging the role of the readmes as the 'official doc' or proper 'comments' is bad faith from your part.

>> In that single sentence, there are more comment than in all the repository.
>> You actually fell to the same criticism you made earlier.

Again, use the readmes. You know that, I know your repos. Some are dead clear others are just empty. Look in your yard before picking on me.

>> There is always someone for whom this isn't the case. That person needs to >> report on that (and this thread was initially a good example of that: a
>> problem with GNATCOLL.JSON,"

Talking of which. I started a project using GNATCOLL.JSON to unmarshal server infos comming from Binance, one of, if not the main crypto exchange.

To my surprise I kept getting, errors, crash or empty data (I do not recall exactly), with no leads what so ever. After some endless search on where the culprit was I decided to dig in GNATCOLL.JSON code. You bet, GNATCOLL.JSON did not handle word starting with a capital letter... yeah! And you bet it did not report what is going wrong.

As you say we cannot pinpoint where ones knowledge starts/ends!

>> For the particular example I sent that resource is called the Ada Reference >> Manual.

A bit of disconnection here. Learning ways of bread and butter Ada code (strings manip) from the ARM is like studying quantum mechanics to understand why you should refrigerate milk. I'm joking ... almost not.

>> Every little progress will be nice. Don't think though that Ada will become >> mainstream again, that time has passed, and a lot of people just prefer to >> look at the new and shiny.

C++ has never been so hyped! They work for the hype, they believe in it, they play the 'real man' game (vs the script kiddies culture) without being mundane and it works.

>> I know this is ironic, but you would not believe the number of request for >> help that have exactly that tone.

Tell them to go to hell.

>> That won't work. What works is publishing things (Code, tutorials, doc,...)

I know publishing things is the key, but a reality check is always good. The OP is right.

>> Your list of awesome-ada seems like it could be a good starting point. But >> if you don't advertise it, this is wasted effort.

I did not advertise it because it misses obvious things, see the TODO at the end.

>> And as soon as you advertise it, you will get comments from people "your
>> list is stupid because it doesn't include such and such"... Then you will >> become part of the middle-aged guard.

I have no problem handling such people, and it is no argument to not properly engage in 'demonstrating' how our projects/libs etc works in a modern way.