* Dynamic Code Assist in Eclipse with gnatbench
@ 2011-08-15 16:27 Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2011-08-15 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
Is there a way to enable the Dynamic Code Assist in Eclipse (with gnatbench plugin)? I mean, the analog that occur in GPS when we enable the "Dynamic smart completion": as well as we write the code, a combobox appears to suggest the text to be typed. I got to work with the Ctrl+Space in Eclipse, but I'd prefer to use this automatically (since I would type Ctrl+Space for each letter I write, and it's boring).

* Re: Dynamic Code Assist in Eclipse with gnatbench
@ 2011-08-15 20:39 ` Britt
From: Britt @ 2011-08-15 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 15, 11:27 am, "Rego, P." <pvr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there a way to enable the Dynamic Code Assist in Eclipse (with
> gnatbench plugin)? I mean, the analog that occur in GPS when we
> enable the "Dynamic smart completion": as well as we write the code,
> a combobox appears to suggest the text to be typed. I got to work
> with the Ctrl+Space in Eclipse, but I'd prefer to use this
> automatically (since I would type Ctrl+Space for each letter I
> write, and it's boring)

This functionality is normally enabled by default if GNATbench is
installed correctly. Check your "Windows > Preferences > Ada > Tools"
settings and read the "Help > Help Contents > GNATbench Ada
Development User Guide".

* Re: Dynamic Code Assist in Eclipse with gnatbench
@ 2011-08-16  2:47   ` Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2011-08-16  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not by default (at least the dynamic mode). The default is not automatic, it just works with Ctrl+Space, or when we write a type and a ".". I want to use it automatically for all that I type (same behavior in GPS if you check the "Dynamic" Smart Completion - which also is not the GPS default) - even if I have to modify the plugin (and I yet do not know how to do it). In GPS this feature is set in menu Edit > Preferences > Editor > Smart Completion - set (from "Normal") to "Dynamic".

Also, in GNATbench User Guide, it says "Code Assist for identifiers is invoked by pressing the control+space key combination inside any Ada source file" and further "Code Assist is automatically invoked when entering dotted names and when entering parameters for a subprogram call.". This does not mention the "dynamic" feature. Any idea?

* Re: Dynamic Code Assist in Eclipse with gnatbench
@ 2011-08-16 18:14     ` Britt
From: Britt @ 2011-08-16 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I should have looked up and tried for myself the "Dynamic Smart
Completion" in GPS before I replied. I just assumed to were asking
about the auto-activated dot completion in GNATbench. The dynamic
behavior is very nice but it looks like GNATbench doesn't yet support
this feature (not that I could find).

* Re: Dynamic Code Assist in Eclipse with gnatbench
@ 2011-08-17 12:32       ` Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2011-08-17 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

No problem...

I was thinking on how it could be implemented in Eclipse, so I looked into the gps.exe file, and found the code

        Dynamic: the smart completion occurs on every key press.Smart completionSmart-Completion-Mode
The timeout (in milliseconds) for character-triggered smart completion in 'Normal' modeSmart completion
COMPLETION_MODULE.SMART_COMPLETION_PREFERENCES.PREFERENCE_RECORD

and inside tip_of_the_day.py, I found:
Tip: Dynamic smart completion
You'd like GPS to make more suggestions automatically to complete identifiers
while you're typing without having to press control-space? Go to
Edit->Preferences, Editor and then set the <i>Smart completion</i> preference to
<i>Dynamic</i>. You might also want to tune the default timeout.

so it looks like a shortcut to all letters is set to activate the Smart Completion.