* Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
@ 2015-03-13 22:10 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-13 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Continuing the discussion I started on #Ada

I'd like input on an idea I have of creating a new informal Ada enthusiast group.

Here is the purpose and goals:

1) Promote the use of Ada in general and specifically for Open Source projects both for _general purpose_ computing and high integrity systems
2) Promote the use of Comp.Lang.Ada and #Ada
3) Encourage people to join the existing formal user groups, SigAda and Ada Europe's Groups
4) Organize competitions, fun events (both at existing events and new events)
5) Promote and Support new Open Source development in particular for bindings and new technologies

Rule #1 - Transparency of organization - CLA and #Ada are were the discussions take place and the decisions made, this is an informal and grass roots organization - the formal stuff has a home already.

Rule #2 - Re-read Rule #1

Website I guess needed to post events, etc. and point to CLA and #Ada for discussion or at least point to CLA where regular posts about events can be.

We discussed on #Ada a lot of names, I like - "The Lovelace Clan" any one else have a name they would like more :)

David Botton

* Re: Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
@ 2015-03-13 22:12 ` Shark8
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shark8 @ 2015-03-13 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada
Workgroup [for]
Environment
Superiority,
Organization,
Mustering and
Enlistment

Or, AWESOME for short.

* Re: Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
@ 2015-03-16 10:04 ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2015-03-16 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

   How about 'AdaVantage' ?

   I wasn't quite sure tho the definition of 'vantage' here seems almost apt ...

   Vantage: a place or position affording a good view of something.

   ... and the synonyms seem closish ...

   Synonyms: point of view, viewpoint, standpoint, stance, stand, view, opinion, position, way of thinking, frame of mind, outlook, perspective, angle, slant

   Finally, it is a little suggestive of 'advantage', which also seems to fit Ada :).

   Anyway, just my 2c.

Cheers.

* Re: Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
@ 2015-03-16 10:36   ` Arie van Wingerden
From: Arie van Wingerden @ 2015-03-16 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

+1

Rod Kay schreef op 16-3-2015 om 11:04:
> Hi,
>
>     How about 'AdaVantage' ?
>
>     I wasn't quite sure tho the definition of 'vantage' here seems almost apt ...
>
>     Vantage: a place or position affording a good view of something.
>
>     ... and the synonyms seem closish ...
>
>     Synonyms: point of view, viewpoint, standpoint, stance, stand, view, opinion, position, way of thinking, frame of mind, outlook, perspective, angle, slant
>
>     Finally, it is a little suggestive of 'advantage', which also seems to fit Ada :).
>
>     Anyway, just my 2c.
>
> Cheers.

---

* Re: Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
@ 2015-03-16 11:52 ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2015-03-16 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something slightly saucy can only help our reputation. I just hope it does not raise expectations :)

* Re: Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-16 12:10 ` Jean François Martinez
From: Jean François Martinez @ 2015-03-16 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 11:10:32 PM UTC+1, David Botton wrote:

> We discussed on #Ada a lot of names, I like - "The Lovelace Clan" any one else have a name they would like more :)

IMHO a bad idea: my first thought about it was "Ring of Ctulhu worshippers".  That is because from distant memories I thought the name of the author of the Ctulhu mythos was HP Lovelace instead of HP Lovecraft.  Both names are close enough to generate confusions.  Unpleasent confusions since many people, myself included, intensely dislike anything related to that mythos.

Jean François Martinez

* Re: Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
@ 2015-03-16 12:19   ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2015-03-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Lovelace clan, into hot group coding.

* Re: Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
@ 2015-03-16 13:07   ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2015-03-16 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

+1

* Re: Idea for new informal ada etnthusiasts group
@ 2015-03-18  6:14     ` jan.de.kruyf
From: jan.de.kruyf @ 2015-03-18  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 3:07:04 PM UTC+2, tonyg wrote:
> +1

Here is a way off topic link, that actually made me tink . . . .

http://www.win-with-women.com/social-circles/expand-your-social-circle-with-these-4-tips-to-meet-and-date-more-women

Perhaps we should come off our high horse for a bit and socialize more.

"The Lady Ada's social club"

Cheers,

j.