* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04 17:41 Graham Stark
From: Graham Stark @ 2009-03-04 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Srini

> a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?

A couple of sites I built for parts of the UK government are discussed
here:

http://virtual-worlds.biz/demonstrations/slas/
http://virtual-worlds.biz/demonstrations/nilam/

(I can't make them public because of restrictions on the data they
use, but there are some
screenshots).

Code for these is here:

http://virtual-worlds.biz/downloads/tb_components.tgz

> b. Are there certain platforms that is friendlier for an AWS based
> site than others?

My colleague Jocelyn Paine and I moved a much larger program than
these two from Linux to Windows in a couple of days, and it ran
equally well on both. (Can't show you that one yet since it's still
being tested).

> c. Any comparisons vis-a-vis performance between AWS and apache?

Apache is likely to be much faster at serving static pages but AWS
will likely outrun a typical dynamic setup using Apache/PHP or Java or
whatever. It's actually straightforward to use both together, with
Apache serving the images, etc. and AWS doing the hard bits.

AWS is a very cool piece of code.

Ada itself can be a bit of an acquired taste, of course. You'll need
to be prepared for a bit more of a struggle with string handling,
connecting to databases and the like than if you go down the more
mainstream route.

Hope this helps,

Graham

Graham Stark, Virtual Worlds http://www.virtual-worlds.biz
t: (+044) 01908 618239 skype: graham_k_stark m:(+044) 07952 633 185

* AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04  3:25 RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2009-03-04  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

friends

a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?
b. Are there certain platforms that is friendlier for an AWS based
site than others?
c. Any comparisons vis-a-vis performance between AWS and apache?

I am considering AWS to build a site that is fairly simple (serves lot
of files) but high usage (>80K hits/day)

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

Regards, srini