* AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04  3:25 RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2009-03-04  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

friends

a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?
b. Are there certain platforms that is friendlier for an AWS based
site than others?
c. Any comparisons vis-a-vis performance between AWS and apache?

I am considering AWS to build a site that is fairly simple (serves lot
of files) but high usage (>80K hits/day)

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

Regards, srini

* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04  7:44 ` Vadim Godunko
From: Vadim Godunko @ 2009-03-04  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 4, 6:25 am, "RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com"
<RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> friends
>
> a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?

http://www.ada-ru.org

* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04 10:50   ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2009-03-04 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vadim Godunko wrote:

> On Mar 4, 6:25 am, "RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com"
> <RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> friends
>>
>> a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?
>
> http://www.ada-ru.org

I thought adacore.com as well, but I couldn't confirm from the website.

* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04 10:56     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-03-04 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 4, 11:50 am, "Alex R. Mosteo" <alejan...@mosteo.com> wrote:
> Vadim Godunko wrote:
> > On Mar 4, 6:25 am, "RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com"
> > <RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> friends
>
> >> a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?
>
> >http://www.ada-ru.org
>
> I thought adacore.com as well, but I couldn't confirm from the website.

AdaCore's GNAT Tracker is a web application built with AWS; it is
available to customers only.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04 15:00     ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2009-03-04 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:50:26 +0100 Alex R. Mosteo wrote:

> Vadim Godunko wrote:
>
> > On Mar 4, 6:25 am, "RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com"
> > <RasikaSriniva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> friends
> >>
> >> a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?
> >
> > http://www.ada-ru.org
>
> I thought adacore.com as well, but I couldn't confirm from the website.

Some parts of libre.adacore.com are served by AWS:
$ lynx -dump -head https://libre.adacore.com/dynamic/download_page
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 14:58:22 GMT
Server: AWS (Ada Web Server) v2.4.0w
Set-Cookie: AWS=SID-i6RZk2O3tu3; path=/; Version=1
Connection: close

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/

* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04 17:41 Graham Stark
From: Graham Stark @ 2009-03-04 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Srini

> a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?

A couple of sites I built for parts of the UK government are discussed
here:

http://virtual-worlds.biz/demonstrations/slas/
http://virtual-worlds.biz/demonstrations/nilam/

(I can't make them public because of restrictions on the data they
use, but there are some
screenshots).

Code for these is here:

http://virtual-worlds.biz/downloads/tb_components.tgz

> b. Are there certain platforms that is friendlier for an AWS based
> site than others?

My colleague Jocelyn Paine and I moved a much larger program than
these two from Linux to Windows in a couple of days, and it ran
equally well on both. (Can't show you that one yet since it's still
being tested).

> c. Any comparisons vis-a-vis performance between AWS and apache?

Apache is likely to be much faster at serving static pages but AWS
will likely outrun a typical dynamic setup using Apache/PHP or Java or
whatever. It's actually straightforward to use both together, with
Apache serving the images, etc. and AWS doing the hard bits.

AWS is a very cool piece of code.

Ada itself can be a bit of an acquired taste, of course. You'll need
to be prepared for a bit more of a struggle with string handling,
connecting to databases and the like than if you go down the more
mainstream route.

Hope this helps,

Graham

Graham Stark, Virtual Worlds http://www.virtual-worlds.biz
t: (+044) 01908 618239 skype: graham_k_stark m:(+044) 07952 633 185

* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04 18:34 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2009-03-04 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com

RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com a �crit :
> a. Are there  any internet sites running AWS - that I could browse?

You can browse: http://v2p.fr.eu.org

A Photo Critic Web site that I have built with a friend photographer. It
is based on AWS, uses the Ajax framework we have tuned while working on
this Web site.

The whole code for this Web Site is Open Source if you want to have a
look let me know I will point you to the Git repositories.

> b. Are there certain platforms that is friendlier for an AWS based
> site than others?

I'm working on Windows where AWS is born and I have used AWS in Debian
based OS for many years.

> c. Any comparisons vis-a-vis performance between AWS and apache?

Dmitriy Anisimkov did some measurements at some point. AWS was really
fast compared to Apache in many cases. Don't have the details now.

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04 20:46 ` Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester
From: Nicholas Paul Collin Gloucester @ 2009-03-04 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2009-03-04, Graham Stark <graham.stark@virtual-worlds.biz> wrote:

|"[..]                                                                 |
|Apache is likely to be much faster at serving static pages but AWS    |
|will likely outrun a typical dynamic setup using Apache/PHP or Java or|
|whatever. It's actually straightforward to use both together, with    |
|Apache serving the images, etc. and AWS doing the hard bits.          |
|[..]"                                                                 |

How would AWS's dynamic performance compare against a Lisp webserver?
(Not that I would like Lisp's encouraging of dynamism where dynamism
is inappropriate.)

Yours sincerely,
Colin Paul Gloster

* Re: AWS Sites
@ 2009-03-04 23:44   ` Srini -
From: Srini - @ 2009-03-04 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excellent inputs from all. I think I will jump in and attempt to make
our site around AWS.

Thanks, srini