* SparForte 1.3 RC builds on new OS's
@ 2012-02-12 19:35 Master of Magic
From: Master of Magic @ 2012-02-12 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>FYI, I created an ArchLinux PKGBUILD of version 1.2.1 (will update as soon as 1.3 is released):
>
> I removed the sound support, because it requires /dev/dsp, and I was
> told this belongs to OSS, which blocks sound IO while in use.
>
> If anybody knows better or has ideas how to solve this, please correct
> me. (maybe oss as makedepends may work?)
>
> Greetings,
> Julian Leyh

Thank you for the feedback.

I believe the documentation has some build hints in the contributors
section.

Warren G.'s AdaVox library was written on OSS and is out-of-date.
Last I heard, Warren has been doing less open source coding to focus
on his family life.  I've been working on the core language and
haven't had a chance to try to update his source code.  The AdaVox
library is in the src/ADAVOX-0.51 directory if anyone wants to try to
upgrade it  In the meantime, sound can be disabled with --without-
sound.  If you get it working, send me the changes and I'll include it
in the 1.3 release.

Someone else posted they tried to do a Darwin build.  SparForte should
build on just about any UNIX-based operating system.  You will need to
create a new bush_os.ads that has the bindings for your operating
system.  e.g. the most critical things are the ioctl and termios
configuration, but double check all the function parameters and error
codes.  You can get these from the C header files in /usr/include in
your operating system.  Should be doable in 1 or 2 afternoons, if you
know what to look for.  If you succeed in making a port, send me the
new bush_os file and I will add Darwin as an option in the
configuration script.

If you find any serious bugs, let me know.  In the meantime, I'll plan
for an official release once I finish verifying all the example
scripts run (likely around March 15).

You can get my email address off the pegasoft website.
Regards,
Ken B.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-02-12 19:35 UTC | newest]