From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: longest path through a task
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 07:38:37 +0300
Date: 2015-05-29T07:38:37+03:00	[thread overview]

On 15-05-28 16:04 , jan.de.kruyf@gmail.com wrote:

> That is sad. But if you did not shoot, you would have missed also.

Yeah, but perhaps I could have taken better aim... I did have a couple
of moments of euphoria, feeling the freedom of the entrepreneur :-)

> Does Bound-T eat Thumb-2 code you think?

I was working on that at the time when it became clear that Bound-T
would not make it as a commercial product. I still have hopes of
finishing a Bound-T version for the Cortex M-series, but my employer
loves me so much that I have no time...

The main problem is that the way Bound-T analyses the computation and
data flow in the code is (intentionally) unsound (in the program-proving
sense). For example, pointers are mainly ignored, and there is no global
value analysis (which would be required for most pointer analysis). This
was not so harmful at the start (some 15 years ago, gosh) when the
analysis results were not used for much (mainly to find iteration bounds
on simple loops) but by and by the use of the analysis results expanded
(sometimes by technical necessity) to include, for example, detection of
infeasible execution paths -- and if that is based on an unsound
analysis, it is very likely that an analysis of a large program will
trigger some false conclusions, and the end results of the analysis will
be wrong.

So Bound-T unfortunaly needs a fresh start with respect to the model of
the computation. I have been thinking about that for a good while, but I
haven't found anything good yet. The simple and sound methods are so
much weaker than the current model that is based on a Presburger
Arithmetic and the Omega library.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd