* Experiences of XML parser generators for Ada?
@ 2004-12-02 21:04 Daniel W
From: Daniel W @ 2004-12-02 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings, I am currently looking for a way to automatically create an Ada
parser/generator for an XML schema. Does anyone have any first hand
experience with such tasks? Any information on methods and tools would be
appreciated!

Thanks, Daniel

[parent not found: <20041203110026.6F40B4C408A@lovelace.ada-france.org>]
* Experiences of XML parser generators for Ada?
@ 2004-12-04 20:37 Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2004-12-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

   The "HUGE overhead.  e.g.: <detectionTreshold>84</detectionTreshold>" is
being solved by the creation of "XML Binary Characterization Properties"
http://www.w3.org/TR/xbc-properties/.
>From Section 4.3.2 Description
" Furthermore, a schema-based encoding of an XML document can achieve a
degree of compactness by using prior knowledge about the structure and
content of a document.  A serialization is schema-based if it uses
information from the document's schema to achieve a better degree of
compactness. This information could be used later as the document is
processed or reconstituted. It is worth pointing out that although not self
contained, a schema-based encoding is not inherently lossy given that, in
principle, a decoder can reproduce the data model using both the encoding
and the schema. Thus, as with other techniques, a schema-based encoding can
be lossy or loss-less."
   If the schema data-types are the same as the Ada data-types, the space
required should be approximately the same.  The real problem is that the Ada
community has not been involved with setting W3C standards.  Ada needs a
complete set of XML_IO packages including being able to create XHTML Strict.
   Bob Leif
   -------
   Message: 2
   Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:33:22 +0100
   From: Adrien Plisson <aplisson-news@stochastique.net>
   Subject: Re: Experiences of XML parser generators for Ada?
   To: comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org

   Daniel W wrote:
   > Thank you for your succinct clarification. More specifically I'm asking
for
   > persons with experience of the parser generator. I actually have
XMLBooster
   > downloaded, but as I said, I'm sort of short on experience.... :-)

   well, i don't have any experience with parser generator (excepted with
   lex), but i would like to share my experience:

   i designed a software composed of 2 parts. all parts were written in a
   different language, and each part was executing in its own context
   (think of 2 different computers). i choosed XML as the format for
   marshaled data accross the communication medium.

   i first downloaded a standard XML parser (Xerces) and tried it. it was
   so slow that i could not continue with it. since i was only using a
   subset a XML (no dtd, no validation, no entity reference, only one
   encoding), i decided to write my own XML parser and XML generator. i got
     70x performance boost.

   now if i look back, i think it would have been better if i had defined
   my own protocol and not used XML:
   - the xml fragment were all generated then parsed by software under my
   control, no user intervention. so there was no need for something human
   readable.
   - i was mostly transmitting numeric values. since xml is a text format,
   performances were teared down by all the conversions from binary to
   string and back to binary.
   - since i was mostly transmitting numeric values, all my text nodes were
     shorter than the xml element type enclosing those values. this leads
   to HUGE overhead. e.g.: <detectionTreshold>84</detectionTreshold>
   encoded in Unicode is 84 bytes long, but the value expressed here is
   only 1 byte long.
   - the only thing xml allowed me was extensibility at no cost, in a case
   were i was not really needing it.

   so here comes my advice: think twice before using xml.
   xml is a very powerful tool for DYNAMICALLY STRUCTURED HUMAN READABLE
   TEXT. for everything else, a basic binary protocol with some well
   defined rules to follow (endianness, size of data) will really be more
   efficient. plus, a basic binary protocol do not need complicated
parsers...

   here was my experience, i hope you find it useful.

   --
   rien