* Ada83 to Ada9X Compatibility Tool in the PAL
@ 1994-09-30  7:50 Richard Conn
From: Richard Conn @ 1994-09-30  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Everyone,

I'm delighted to report the release of our first Ada9X-specific tool
(other than the compilers, of course) in the PAL.  This tool, developed
by graduate students in the Department of Software Engineering at
Monmouth College who were participants in the Software Engineering
Intern program of the Army's Communications-Electronics Command Software
Engineering Directorate (CECOM/SED), analyzes Ada83 source code for
compatibility with Ada9X compilers.  We call it ACT (Ada9X Compatibility
Tool).  I was their thesis advisor.

As a final test of the tool, the ACT was run against a version of the
Ada source code for the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System
(AFATDS).  AFATDS consists of over 5 million lines of Ada source code.
It took only 10 minutes to set up the ACT for analyzing AFATDS. The ACT
then ran against AFATDS for 26 clock hours on a Sun Sparc 10, generating
a report over 500 pages long.  This report has been given to the PM of
AFATDS for his review and action.

Rick
Richard Conn                           |  conn@wuarchive.wustl.edu
Public Ada Library Manager             |
Opinions expressed herein are my own and not necessarily those of anyone else.

Public Ada Library (PAL) Release Notice
Release of: Ada83 to Ada9X Compatibility Tool
------------------------------
1. Taxonomy:
    SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
        ADA83 TO ADA9X COMPATIBILITY TOOL
------------------------------
2. Author:
    William E. Blakeley, Jr., and Michael D. Garis
    For questions about the tool, contact:
    Richard Conn
    Software Engineering Department
    Monmouth College
    West Long Branch, NJ  07764-1898
------------------------------
3. Rights:
    Approved for public release; distribution unlimited
------------------------------
4. Copyright:
    1994 Monmouth College
------------------------------
5. Certification:
     Ada System Certifier_1 1.1
     Date/Time of Processing: Thursday  29 September 1994 11:13:45Am
     Overall Assessment of System: OK
     Classification of System: A
     Basis of Classification --
         Syntax Errors                               PASS
         Completeness                                PASS
         Independence from External Libraries        PASS
         Independence from a Specific Ada Compiler   PASS

     Number of ...
       Files              18
       Library Units     133
       Lines           42745
       Statements      10595
       Comments        16881
------------------------------
6. Abstract:
Ada9X will soon be adopted as the new ANSI and ISO standard for the Ada
programming language.  Although most Ada83 programs will be upward
compatible with the new standard, incompatibilities will exist in some
programs due to the use of identifiers which are reserved words in Ada9X
and a number of other detailed issues.  The Ada9X Compatibility Tool
(ACT) is an automated tool that has been designed to detect many of
these incompatibilities.

Included in the release is a graduate thesis that describes the design,
implementation, and use of the ACT.  The ACT has been run against the
test programs (included in the release) and over 5M lines of Ada source
code from live Ada projects.

This tool was created by graduate students at Monmouth College who were
pursuing Master of Software Engineering degrees.  These students were
members of the Software Engineering Intern program funded by the Army's
Communications-Electronics Command (CECOM) Software Engineering
Directorate (SED).  Richard Conn, the faculty advisor for this project,
is a full-time employee of The MITRE Corporation and an Adjunct Professor
for Monmouth College.
------------------------------
7. Release Notice:
This prologue must be included in all copies of this software.
Restrictions on use or distribution:  NONE
------------------------------
8. Directory Listing:

languages/ada/swtools/act:
  File Name                 Size
  ---------                 ----
  README                     574
  act.zip                721,224

Totals
  ==============  ==============
    2 Files              721,798

* Re: Ada83 to Ada9X Compatibility Tool in the PAL
@ 1994-10-03  9:44 ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1994-10-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <conn.780911387@wuarchive.wustl.edu> conn@wuarchive.wustl.edu (Richard Conn) writes:

 > As a final test of the tool, the ACT was run against a version of the
 > Ada source code for the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System
 > (AFATDS).  AFATDS consists of over 5 million lines of Ada source code.
 > It took only 10 minutes to set up the ACT for analyzing AFATDS. The ACT
 > then ran against AFATDS for 26 clock hours on a Sun Sparc 10, generating
 > a report over 500 pages long.  This report has been given to the PM of
 > AFATDS for his review and action.

   My first thought was that a tool which generates a 500 page report
is unusable.  But then I did the scaling: 5,000,000 lines/500 pages
equals 10,000 lines analyzed per page.  Not bad!  (Over 3000 lines per
minute is not to shabby either.)  I'll have to try it out on some less
imposing projects.

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;