* Re: Ada (subset) interpreter?
@ 1993-07-14 12:05  Richard Conn
From:  Richard Conn @ 1993-07-14 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

progers@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Pat Rogers) writes:

>Does anyone know of an interpreter for (a subset of) Ada?  For example,
>the UCI Arcturus project, I believe, had such a beast. Is there a public
>domain tool available?

>Many thanks,
>Pat Rogers

There are the GWU SmallAda and NYU Ada/Ed offerings in the PAL, Pat.
They are not interpreters, tho.

Rick
Richard Conn, ASR and PAL Manager  |  conn@wuarchive.wustl.edu

* Re: Ada (subset) interpreter?
@ 1993-07-27 19:56 munck
From: munck @ 1993-07-27 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In INFO-ADA Digest V93 #449, Mike Feldman says

> ... If what you are looking for is an interpreter that will, say,
>immediately execute a line of Ada code typed at the terminal, like a
>Basic interpreter, you might look at ACE, the Ada Command Environment
>developed by (for) STARS.

>A couple of years ago this system seemed to be moving right along,
>but then work was suddenly stopped on it. I asked some people close
>to the project why the thing was cut off just before it was ready
>for prime time; as I recall I got nothing but evasive answers.

I don't speak for STARS, but I am close to it (some of it is right
across the hall):

Over the years, STARS has been directed by some exceptionally
experienced and knowledgable people at DARPA, including Joe Greene,
Jack Kramer, John Foreman, and Barry Boehm.  Given the chaotic nature
of the state of the art and state of the practice in s/w development
systems and procedures, it is not surprising that the "focus" of STARS
has changed with each new manager as the program matured.  In
particular, STARS several years ago anticipated the current DoD
emphasis on COTS software and Dual Use technology.  ACE was one of
several development efforts that did not seem to be headed toward
being a commercial product, so it was wrapped up.  As a previous note
said, the results, including full source code, are available from
ASSET.

Could ACE become a successful commercial product?  Probably not; the
world is moving away from the kind of line-by-line interaction that it
supports.  I can think of some possible products that it could be a
basic part of, including an Ada editor/debugger.  It could be used to
implement an extension language in any system that needs one,
including word processors, simulators, drawing tools, modelers, etc.
Consider, for example, a spreadsheet that supported definition of new
"@" functions in Ada. I'm considering using it in an upgrade of a
commercial product of mine, and as the basis of a new one.  It's there
for anyone to use.

Bob Munck