* Rational releases a C++/Smalltalk tool ???
@ 1994-12-09 17:29 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1994-12-09 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

    You can't seriously expect people to believe that Ada is better and more
cost effective when leading Ada vendors are doing everything they can to make
non-Ada languages as cost effective.  Case in point:

    Rational announces a new C++/Smalltalk object tool for client/server
    development.  Rational Rose/Object Pro automates the production of
    ObjectPro code.  ObjectPro is Trinzic Corporation's new object-oriented
    development environment that combines the best aspects of C++ and
    Smalltalk in a new generation OO tool.
    "The integration of Rational Rose and ObjectPro yields a joint modeling
    and construction environment that makes developers the clear winners in
    adopting and deploying object-oriented solutions", said the chief
    technical officer of Trinzic.

These offerings by Rational, and similar ones like Alsys' continual marketing
of its C++ TeleUse GUI code generator, undermine any assertions that Ada is
more cost effective when the leading Ada vendors behave to the contrary (and
former vendors like IBM which has killed any chance for Ada in the MIS world
with its very public and very emphatic embracing of C++ and Smalltalk).
Contrast that with another announcement that appeared this month:

    ParcPlace Systems, a Sunnyvale provider of Smalltalk technology, recently
    sold its C++ Business Unit to Openware Technologies (Jacksonville, FL),
    who will assume marketing and support of the C++ development tool
    ObjectBuilder.  Openware will retain all C++ Business Unit employees.

Is it a stretch to assume that ParcPlace wants to devote all of its resources
and marketing message to Smalltalk, realizing the confusion and hypocrisy of
advocating two languages?  I think not.

What kills Ada is the hypocrisy and incompetence underlying Ada activities
and policies.  Until the DoD confronts these issues head-on and openly, no
one anywhere is going to believe that the DoD is serious about Ada, and as
an extension, to take Ada seriously.

Some of us tried to bring this up at last year's Ada Summit, and were ignored.
Why?

Greg Aharonian

* Re: Rational releases a C++/Smalltalk tool ???
@ 1994-12-12  4:44 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-12-12  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Some of us tried to bring this up [alledged hypocricy of Ada companioes
in dealing with multiple langauges] ... but were ignored. Why?"

Possibly because most people think this is an idiotic issue. THe idea that
companies should center on one particular language seems silly to me. This
is purely a marketing matter.

If I see Microsoft selling a Visual Basic compiler and a Visual C++ compiler,
do I sit around bemoaning their hypocricy! Of course not.

Probably if Microsoft DID decide to sell an Ada compiler, GA would expect
them to drop all other languages.

Greg, you keep beating on this horse, but as should be pretty apparent
to you, most of us think this horse died long ago, or more properly was
mythical and never alive in the first place :-)

* Re: Rational releases a C++/Smalltalk tool ???
@ 1994-12-13 17:28 ` Kent Mitchell
From: Kent Mitchell @ 1994-12-13 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Aharonian (srctran@world.std.com) wrote:

:     You can't seriously expect people to believe that Ada is better and more
: cost effective when leading Ada vendors are doing everything they can to make
: non-Ada languages as cost effective.  Case in point:

Greg ... tools like Rational Rose are only a small part of what makes a
language (actually I should say project) cost effective.  Given the
discussions we've had on the news group in the past about the values of having
a defined process and good tools to support this process as well as a
language that let's you support the system abstractions (like strong
typing, etc), I consider it general opinion that while Ada helps it is not
the end-all solution.  Given that people *are* going to use Smalltalk and C++
don't you think it is good for Rational to try to help those people over
their initial disadvantages (from the selection of those *other* languages).

:     Rational announces a new C++/Smalltalk object tool for client/server
:     development.  Rational Rose/Object Pro ...
[snip rest of advertising for RR/Object Pro]

Of course, we've had an Ada version of this same product for quite some
time so you could say that we favored Ada.

--
Kent Mitchell                   | One possible reason that things aren't
Technical Consultant            | going according to plan is .....

* Re: Rational releases a C++/Smalltalk tool ???
@ 1994-12-15  1:27 ` Gabriel Bereny
From: Gabriel Bereny @ 1994-12-15  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Aharonian (srctran@world.std.com) wrote:

: Some of us tried to bring this up at last year's Ada Summit, and
: were ignored. Why?

Because you're boring, single-issue cranks and everyone knows where
you stand? Just a guess. I wasn't there.

* Re: Rational releases a C++/Smalltalk tool ???
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1994-12-15 23:21 ` John R. Cobarruvias
From: John R. Cobarruvias @ 1994-12-15 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <D0K0KH.ExG@world.std.com>, srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
Aharonian) wrote:
[bunch of whining deleted]

> What kills Ada is the hypocrisy and incompetence underlying Ada activities
> and policies.  Until the DoD confronts these issues head-on and openly, no
> one anywhere is going to believe that the DoD is serious about Ada, and as
> an extension, to take Ada seriously.
>
> Some of us tried to bring this up at last year's Ada Summit, and were ignored.
> Why?

This is funny. You ask WHY you are ignored? Read your own post for an
answer.